Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to riding. Grom vs ninja 300

I want a bike to cruise around the mountain, country back roads, and coastal riding. Considering the ninja 300 or the grom. What do you think would be better. love that scenery cruising. I don't mind Taking all back roads if needed. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
998 Posts
I want a bike to cruise around the mountain, country back roads, and coastal riding. Considering the ninja 300 or the grom. What do you think would be better. love that scenery cruising. I don't mind Taking all back roads if needed. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If you got $6,000 plus to spend than I would go with the Ninja 300. It is not big enough where you can get into trouble yet you can carry two up with ease.

If money and size of the motorcycle is the issue plus saving on gas money I would go with the Grom if you can get it for under $3,600 OTD price. Since some of the Honda sales persons are trying to get as much out of a Grom buyer as possible since they know they have a limited supply for now due to not predicting the market for these little motorcycle and also because it is storm season in the Far East which could cause problem with production of the Grom. Honda MSP is $2,999 and in the Far East the Grom/MSX-125 sell for $2,300 OTD price USA money. So go figure in the price difference of about $699. It does not cost much if you buy a container full of these Groms shipped to the USA. Most of these Groms when they arrive to the USA will be assembled by their Jr Techs if the dealer have a few workers since the main job would be to take the Grom out of the box, wood frames, put the handle bar back on the Grom and adjust cable and any electrical connection to the Grom, add fluids check battery connection and start the Grom up and take it for a test drive.

Your job when you get your Grom is to re-inspect all the connections, look over the motorcycle for scratches, dings, or what ever that might be a concern to you and report it back to the dealer.

Things I would do when I get my Grom and which I've done with all my other motorcycle is make a history book by buying a note book and label the book 2014 Grom History and Maintenance and I would start putting little notes and such into the book.

For me I would start with a compression check and test since I have all the tools for that and document the compression on what date and what mileage you took those test.
I would also take a pic of the Grom and document the serial number and also any physical markings I add to the Grom such as my partial SSN or phone number hidden some where on the MC so just in case the Grom gets stolen I can have a special ID to look for or the cops to look for.

This maintenance book you make will sort of give you the history of the Grom and will also give you a database of when you noticed that the Grom either started getting more mpg or hp. I would do a compression check at 500 miles, 1000 miles and every year there after.

I would learn to do my own changing of oil, flushing out the various fluids such as brake fluids.

Since the Grom has a clutch cable, I assume since other riders have mentioned that, I would have a extra set of Grom clutch cable under my seat. Don't want to be stuck out some where when the cable snaps. I would also carry a flat tire kit/plug set to repair any holes you get into your tire from nails/screws and such.

That's about it for now

·
Registered
86 Posts
Between those two bikes the biggest difference is the price and the size. Smaller and cheaper, or bigger and more expensive. Really depends on what is going to make you happiest, but it is not like the two bikes are direct competitors.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't know I paid $2400 for a used SV650 that is still going strong, sure it had a small dent in the tank and a few scratches but it runs great and has a nice thick seat that can be trimmed if you have short legs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You know if you want to grom or not. The only downside I see to the grom for new riders is low speed stablilty and I mean like traffic crawling no throttle just idle The fact that I'm a giant is probably a contributing factor with a high center of gravity. Any dual sport except maybe a klr 650 would be a good learner bike imo followed by a low displacement cruiser like an old rebel, blast ect

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I don't know I paid $2400 for a used SV650 that is still going strong, sure it had a small dent in the tank and a few scratches but it runs great and has a nice thick seat that can be trimmed if you have short legs.
yep, the sv650 is an awesome budget bike (i've owned 3 and now onto an sv1k). and then you can upgrade as much as you see fit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you really want a new bike you could even look at Hondas NC700, going for about ~$5K, like others said not big enough to get you in trouble but big enough to keep out out of trouble.

Honestly the Grom may be a little much for an inexperienced rider, not for anything but its smaller size make awareness and balance premium commodities.

Its enough you have to worry about cagers seeing you on a regular sized bike dont add the stress to yourself and worry about cagers seeing you on a mini...

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Ninja and the NC700 are the bikes other than the Grom that I am thinking about getting. I am notoriously bad at making decisions and parting with my saved up money though. I'll make the purchase one day though.

The Grom looks fun because its small, but that is also the reason why I am hesitant. Maybe I want something full-sized as a first bike.

Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
if you want something light and nimble to just cruise around on and adventure, i would pick the grom all day as i have not come across anywhere i can't take it. being someone that is 250lbs and have low sided it off a cliff to flipping it off the side of a road in a ditch, this things a blast and pretty much like a battle tank. i wouldn't say it's indestructible but it's very well made and i couldn't be happier with it. i also own a 08cbr600rr and im for sure having more fun on the grom as i don't have to be going 80 plus to be having fun on it as i can take the grom anywhere.

crashing a 300 or any other bike is gonna be a ton of $$$ to fix when the grom, well you can beat the piss out of it and it'll hold up and ride away from the scene.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.