Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not going after the sound of the Grom via the stock pipes being changed but for the real world GROM riders what mods that you did that you noticed the improvement in performance and top end speed and stop light to stop light get up and go.

Did the 14T really help your top end speed?

Did the airbox mod really help your Grom breath better and maintain top end speed and get up and go?

Did lighting the flywheel and the oil spinner really help you get up to speed faster?

I'm not concern about the sound of my Grom and I love to keep peace with my neighbors that is why I'm not going to change the stock pipes yet. I like quiet for now.

Like I said only members who have really done these mods chime in and give me your opinion and also what mod you would have done first or which mod you noticed the best results.

No second hand information please just your own experience, Thanks

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Doing with the full exhaust and a uni filter for sure put a kick in it's butt on the stop and go traffic. As for top speed, it seems mainly play a roll on how windy it is outside and how the traffic is.

In all honesty I feel that when it was all stock it got better every time I rode it as the bike started to open up.

The full exhaust and uni filter for sure helped it's pep. when I got it I was able to hit 72 all stock going down a hill and i just hit 74 the other day down a bridge. So I don't feel that it really helped much in top end speed as much as it helped me getting up to speed a bit faster.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stock 62 was the fastest I saw down a hill in top gear, with my rear top box and my M4 full system with no intake mods 54mph is my fastest. I need to reset the ECU though and take the top box off. I have a Bazzazz and the K&N filter Pod on the way to see if I can regain what I lost putting the top box. The other question you should ask when talking about a 9hp barely motorcycle is rider weight makes a huge difference. My 189lbs is definitely affecting it, but I also need to check the air pressure since the cold air happened. This could be a simple solution. The M4 exhaust definitely helped wake up stop and go traffic and dropped 8lbs off the bike. I have kept the dB insert in but it's still wonderfully loud so definitely not something you would be interested in keeping the peace.

I wouldn't bother doing a slip on as the cat is in the headpipe and that's what is limiting flow.

Would love to hear from some other peoples' response to mods.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My first mod was the 14 tooth sprocket. I could get up to speed much easier. Really was nice to be able to pick up a little quicker with my 250 pound butt on it.
Next, was the best performance mod yet... that was the full Yoshi Exhaust. I was never able to hit the rev limiter before I put this exhaust on. I do wish that it was quieter.
Next I pulled off the airbox and put a K&N on the intake. I drilled the end of the filter and screwed the sensor into the metal end of the filter. Don't know that I noticed much in the way of performance... I can hear the intake noise, and I'm not sure that I like it. The biggest downfall is that when it rains the water comes off the front wheel and gets sucked right into the intake. I plan on doing something a little different for the intake, but it won't be the stock box again. I think I'm going to make a shroud and put a 2 piece foam filter like I have on my dirt bikes.

NExt I want a big bore kit... waiting to hear about the 170 kit and may just end up buying the 180 kit from overseas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Full exhaust and K&N, air box removed.
14T in front and 36T out back.
I noticed all sorts of mid range improvements.
I hit the rev limiter with just the 14T on the front. After I upped the rear to a 36T I didn't. Over all my top speed is not really much better but I get there WAY quicker.
I added a fuel controller but it was shit and returned it. Fro what I read the ECU learns how to override them anyway.
I want to give the spinner and flywheel a shot but I'm waiting to hear how it works before I spend the money.
PS my bike is very loud but it can be pussycatted around at lower volumes IF I want to.

Reactions: floppyzebra
1 - 7 of 7 Posts