Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a bike one could set up inexpensively for fun casual track use? Or would it be more pro to use a MX bike set for track use? Just curious to opinions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i dont think it would be very hard to set up for track use if you had the proper track to put it on. but obviously compared to large cc track bikes i wouldn't want to be out there on a large track with greater cc bikes for safety concerns

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fiddy or supermoto tracks sure, full on automotive tracks HELL NO!.. when you're pinning it at 63mph WOT while full size bikes are in the same corner at 100+mph you become nothing more than an obstacle and a danger to you and everyone else out there. Even big bore Supermoto bikes can be a sketchy obstacle on the larger less technical tracks just from their lack of top speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont think it would be very hard to set up for track use if you had the proper track to put it on. but obviously compared to large cc track bikes i wouldn't want to be out there on a large track with greater cc bikes for safety concerns
Most organizations are pretty good about keeping the minibikes seperate from the sportbikes. Heck, even my 250 racebike is usually scheduled with the 125 2-smokes and the other lightweight twins.

It (Grom) looks like a great bke for the kart and mini-motard tracks, I can't wait to find out. My thread in the "Grom vs" is asking this same basic question. Only real difference, is we run those mini-races on the full size tracks. It just takes forever and a day to complete a lap.... :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once a month during the 5 months of guaranteed riding here in the Frozen Northlands of Minnesota, us local motorcycle safety trainers have a track day at a local college's training track. The Grom will be perfect for this - can't wait for September's track day! The only problem will be on the back straight, where I can hit 106 on the Ducati before hauling it in....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is this a bike one could set up inexpensively for fun casual track use? Or would it be more pro to use a MX bike set for track use? Just curious to opinions.
I can imagine one scenario that might be iffy at my local track (hpt.com). The first turn (called turn alpha) is blind due to a hill, so if there is a slow bike in it, and a really fast bike entering it, then I might be concerned. I have seen incidents there, but I don't know what the cause was.

They used to be very serious about riders having race-prepped bikes, but these days we see all kinds of bikes there. There was even a guy on a Diavel, which is nominally a cruiser.

The other side of that coin is that it's common to see someone on a Ninja 250 blast past someone on a superbike. A small bike is not slow when the corners are tight (which is also why they work well on cart tracks).

There are clubs at road tracks that are very accepting of small bikes. For whatever reason, the ones that I am familiar with are on the West Coast, but the fact that they exist at-all is good news. Places with lots of race-prepped small bikes (like Oregon) are full of people that like small bikes on the track. So the trick is to get a lot of small bike enthusiasts to your track. That's what I suspect anyway.

Some racing clubs with a lot of small bikes (although many of those are also vintage bikes):
OMRRA | Oregon Motorcycle Road Racing Association
https://m1-grandprix.com
Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association

:superbike:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im buying mine for the track. There are several Mini Racing series out there and most use Cart tracks, when this gets released I am betting there will be an entire series just for the Grom. Set up will be super easy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd be interested in a little racing with this bike. It can't hurt too bad to crash at 25 or so... right? :p

·
Registered
327 Posts
Keep telling yourself that if it helps
I guess my choice of smiley did not properly convey the "relax, I'm being facetious and just kidding"

I'll do better next time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Seeley

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I think we get hurt more parking lot racing the TTR's than on the track with the bigger bikes. And it's not like we don't wear gear, full leathers, boots, gloves, back protector, and helmet.

You just end up tucking the front a lot more often...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why be afraid? You control the throttle and brakes, you even get to steer it all by yourself. Riding on the street, where people are trying to kill you, that's where you should be afraid...

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
definitely will be running these with NJ MiniGP

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. M13 on YouTube does a video of a guy pwning the track on a moped. I'll try to find it....

It's NERF, or nuthin....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts