Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that there was a price adjustment, but I ordered it months ago and we agreed on an out the door price, in addition to the understanding that I'm also ordering a cbr1000rr from him. So it finally comes in and he calls to tell my I gotta pay him more. So far he isn't moving, and on principle I'm getting ready to walk away from both deals. It's also making me feel like scrapping the whole thing and just get a 600 again to do double duty, rather than having the 2 bikes.

Anyone else run into this with their dealer? Did they honor the original price?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might also add that I spoke to the dealer for a status update long after that announced the price adjustment and he never mentioned it

·
Registered
995 Posts
I hate when dealers don't honor prices. sometimes it makes me want to get the original price in writing to make sure they stick to it and i have something physical to show them

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
officially cancelled the order on both bikes. The dealership didn't even seem to care. It looks like I'm going to be selling the wave rotor that I ordered for the grom

·
Registered
256 Posts
You could try this place. Back when I was ATV riding a few friends bought from here. Heard mostly good, some bad. I think some of the bad was people who needed assistance deciding, comparison shopping, etc. I think most of the salepeople are just used to people seeing their sales prices and saying I want this.

Hidden Prices

Scroll all the way to the bottom for Grom price and the 1000RR is just a little up from that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they had tried to compromise with me, like split the difference, I'd probably say ok. I just didn't like how he handled it. They knew in December this was coming and he chose to wait until the day it comes in, and strings me along for 2 months

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's always harder to make a good deal on a bike that is in short supply and high demand. I paid $3600 for my Grom knowing it was way too much. $3300 is a much more reasonable price for Texas. I would normally wheel and deal for hours and get them to come way off their first price.....or go elsewhere and look at the same bike at another dealer until one dealer blinks. If you are not careful, you can pay way more money than you should. With cars it's much worse.

Negotiating can be fun. Amazingly, lots of things are negotiable depending on the dealership. They can add in free oil, gear, the first service, extended warranty, etc. etc. They can knock off all the extras like dealer prep. They can even pay the sales tax. The most interesting deal I've made was on my Zero S. I got lifetime free brakes, tires, drive belts and a once a year brake fluid flush. I am about due for a new free rear tire. I also bought a 2-stroke motorcycle and the dealer was telling me how cheap it was to work on the engine to rebuild it. I told him I would buy it at a certain price if he agreed to do the first rebuild free and he agreed. None of these things work though if you have a dealer who doesn't really care if you buy or not. Most dealers really want to sell the bike though and I would only deal with those salesmen. A small dealer/owner/salesman is the best situation for you often.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know all the games, I've worked in the automotive industry for about 9 years, and I understand his position and the high demand. But one thing that I remember clear as day is one of my sales managers yelling at a salesman "I don't care! You do what's right for the customer!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is my invoice from Tom Clark Motorsports in Belle Vernon Pennsylvania... And they charged $3199... I told them up front it had to be under $3700 because thats all the cash I had on me..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, for another $200, someone else is now riding your Grom... :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
Unfortunately, for another $200, someone else is now riding your Grom... :(
True. It's a shame a majority of car and motorcycle dealerships seem to be the opposite of the old, "the customer is always right." It's more like you pay this because we say so, because if you don't we know there is a line of people willing to pay more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is a line of people willing to pay more.
Especially because it's a Grom.

For now dealerships will charge a premium and play those games until the hype dies down, then we'll see the "real" prices they sell for. When I bought mine in the fall I felt is was about $250 higher than I wanted to pay but went with it because they had it instead of waiting until the first of the year for it to come in. Glad I did because with the price hike, I at least got a couple months in already of fun before winter. And in the end it evened out.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What pisses me off is that the price increase was announced on December, but he waits until the bike comes in to tell me that he is going to increase the price. He should have been upfront with me as soon as he heard about it. ESPECIALLY since I was ordering a second and much more expensive bike from him, and ESPECIALLY since I'm really good friends with one if his old friend who referred me

·
Registered
998 Posts
What pisses me off is that the price increase was announced on December, but he waits until the bike comes in to tell me that he is going to increase the price. He should have been upfront with me as soon as he heard about it. ESPECIALLY since I was ordering a second and much more expensive bike from him, and ESPECIALLY since I'm really good friends with one if his old friend who referred me

that is the reason I shop around for good deals when buying my motorcycles. When I bought my Hayabusa I went 49 miles away from my house to buy one since they had better prices than in San Jose or Sunnyvale. I saved $800.

When I bought my YSR 50 way back when I called a dealer in Fremont Calif and asked what was the OTD price of the YSR and he said $1350 and one thing he did not realize is that I had a recorder when talking to the dealer on the phone so when I went to pick up the YSR-50 and I had $1350 cash and I showed it to him he said wait a minute that is not the real price OTD. I told him didn't I talk to you on the phone this morning before coming here to pick up the MC and he said yes and I said isn't that my name on the MC sales slip that is attached to the MC and he said yes and I whipped out my micro recorder and said isn't this your voice on this phone conversation and he said yes so I said please keep your word and I handed him over the $1350.

With all those micro recorders, smart phone with video/voice recording,go pro video camera and such it is easy to record your conversation and video talking to the sales person and keeping it as proof that both of you agreed to a set price.

I used my gopro when picking up my Grom so as to show proof I bought one and second to show proof what was said in the salesman office on the various papers I had to sign. That way both the sales person and I understood the terms of the sale and it is on video recording as record of the sale.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that is the reason I shop around for good deals when buying my motorcycles. When I bought my Hayabusa I went 49 miles away from my house to buy one since they had better prices than in San Jose or Sunnyvale. I saved $800.

When I bought my YSR 50 way back when I called a dealer in Fremont Calif and asked what was the OTD price of the YSR and he said $1350 and one thing he did not realize is that I had a recorder when talking to the dealer on the phone so when I went to pick up the YSR-50 and I had $1350 cash and I showed it to him he said wait a minute that is not the real price OTD. I told him didn't I talk to you on the phone this morning before coming here to pick up the MC and he said yes and I said isn't that my name on the MC sales slip that is attached to the MC and he said yes and I whipped out my micro recorder and said isn't this your voice on this phone conversation and he said yes so I said please keep your word and I handed him over the $1350.

With all those micro recorders, smart phone with video/voice recording,go pro video camera and such it is easy to record your conversation and video talking to the sales person and keeping it as proof that both of you agreed to a set price.

I used my gopro when picking up my Grom so as to show proof I bought one and second to show proof what was said in the salesman office on the various papers I had to sign. That way both the sales person and I understood the terms of the sale and it is on video recording as record of the sale.
I know what you mean. I went 700 miles to get my ktm. You think when the owner of the dealership is friends with a good friend of yours you could trust them

1 - 20 of 47 Posts