GromForum.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
that choice is all relative... winter bike tires for me would need to be chained and/or studded or I'd spend more time on the ground than I would riding

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
What are the options?

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I always thought about riding in the winter but too worried about the dangers that come with it especially with winter conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't looked, but if Heidenau makes DS/All-weather tires that fit the Grom, I'd go that route.

Sure, they make snow tires too, but I won't ride on the snow/ice with only two points of contact on the road. I don't mind gravel and wetness, but if the snow is fresh and ice is around, no thanks. 3 wheels? Now we're talking; but that's even further from reality than my Grom I don't yet own.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There's all kinds of tires for scoots that will work.There are knobs and dual sport,not to mention road race tires.Just do a search on any moto tire site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride in what can technically be referred to as the winter, but never on ice.

I've been caught in a flash snowstorm, riding home to safety, but the roads were just getting wet, not particularly icy. Not something I do on purpose.

For actual snow-packed or icy-conditions, I'd need at least three points of contact, IE, a side-car or a more modern three-wheeler, with snow-tires to go with it. Not necessarily studs, but at least something nice like the Heidenau k62 Snowtex (they wear out quickly in non-winter conditions).

Gravel and wetness is okay by me, though. I'll ride it like a chicken, but still ride.

For my Zuma, Heidenau k58 in the back. Knobby in the front (aftermarket 14" wheel).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Winter tires? How cold can you run this bike???
I've only rode in temps as low as 20 on an ATC 70.My bike had no issues starting with the pull start.I don't see it being a big issue in the cold until the below 0 temps start showing up.You'll want a little thinner oil in the winter like 5w30.I would run offroad tires if I was riding in snowy conditions.I wouldn't run non DOT tires on the street.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Vespa 300 super has pretty good year around tires for Texas but we don't have a winter. Rain is another matter. While I try not to get caught in the rain, it happens and the present tires on my Vespa which are Michelin City Grips do excellent on dry pavement but less well on wet. Still, I do so little riding in rain, I won't get a rain tire. I'll probably use the oem tires and replace them with some high mileage touring/compound tires that will give me at least 10,000 miles. Whatever my Vespa dealer has for high mileage. All the Vespa tires are rated for high speeds too. My Vespa does well at 82 mph on those same tires. 35F is as cold as I've ridden...maybe not even cause my Vespa is in the garage where the temp never gets below 45F and by the time I get to rolling the tire temp goes up pretty quickly, so I really never have cold tires. Cold hands though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah I ride my bikes on the ice in the winter, its a blast. Mounting the studded is a pain in the butt though cause of the liners.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts