·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wear a full face helmet. My friends buddy has swelling of the brain and an unsure prognosis. He was wearing a $20 cruiser top hat pirate helmet. :(
Yes, I work in the motorcycle apparel and helmet industry and when people complain about the price of a helmet, I try to explain to them that it's their head they are trying to protect.

And given the fact that most helmets are warrantied for five years, you can take the price of a $500 helmet and see that you are only spending $100 per year for something that could save your life.

I must admit, however, that I rode around my neighborhood once without a helmet and felt so "free" -- it was such a crazy feeling. But after hearing, reading or watching videos of people getting into accidents, I want to be fully protected when I ride my Grom.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the above link doesn't work, you may need to be logged into Facebook for it to work (since I got the link from Facebook and it's an older story on our newspaper's site).

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
RIP rider.

something struck me as odd though

"Two parallel skid marks roughly 60 yards long could be seen on the uphill lane westbound "
braking uphill is very efficient. a long skid means the rear was locked (you can only skid the front for a very short time before finding the ground). so they're going fast, see the turn coming up, and get on the rear brakes hard? did neither know how to use the front brake?

Reactions: Sraber

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
always sad to hear. we all accept a common risk when riding. Just gotta do what you can to try to make it as safe as possible.

RIP dudes.

Reactions: FunSize

·
Registered
13 Posts
RIP rider.

something struck me as odd though

"Two parallel skid marks roughly 60 yards long could be seen on the uphill lane westbound "
braking uphill is very efficient. a long skid means the rear was locked (you can only skid the front for a very short time before finding the ground). so they're going fast, see the turn coming up, and get on the rear brakes hard? did neither know how to use the front brake?
That was my reaction too, skidmark = rear tire locked up. If they had used the front brakes it would have most likely saved his life.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i bought my 5 yr son a electric motorcycle. but after thinking about, his toy helmet wasnt good enough.

so i just got him a shoei rf-1000. it is an xxs !
That is a great helmet! I don't own a Shoei but I sell them and know they are a premium helmet brand. Glad you were able to get the XXS for him! He must be so cute in it! :D

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Yes, our gear is our only protection. Invest in the best gear you can afford!
training is also an excellent investment. there are lots of learning options after the msf (MSF ARC, Lee Parks, track days, etc.)

Reactions: FunSize

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, our gear is our only protection. Invest in the best gear you can afford!
Not really, the best protection is riding ability but I agree 100% with your sentiment. While I don't agree with having helmet laws, or seat belt laws, or a lot of other laws, I am a proponent of helmet usage. The only time I don't have a helmet on when on a bike is riding around my field giving my dog a ride, never get out of second gear, if I even make it there LOL.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.