Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been out on the Grom in the wet? Is it more nerve wracking than usual? What about spray, You're lower to the ground, closer to cager tires...

Anyone have stories to share?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I wouldn't imagine it would be very fun. Unless you like getting soaked all around.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i've done it a dozen times already. it's not that bad...worst part about it is you can't rip up the streets, do rolling stoppies up to each traffic light, or wheelies.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've ridden in the rain in Northern Calif when I was working and commuting on my Hayabusa, found no problem when you can get the right riding gear. I found that if I used a good set of Joe Rocket jacket, standard levi's pants, good water proof shoes, and good Yellow rain gear that has Velcro attachment, I found this was a lot better than most of those heavy expensive motorcycle rain gear. I got the best pair of rain gear in Yellow from Costco price around $19.99-25 but lately they have not been carrying that rain gear. I like yellow because it is more visible to see esp in the rain.

On small motorcycles with small wheels is the main concern with the way the road is design to run off water if it curves where the center of the road is the high spot and the edge is the low spot smaller tire motorcycles seem to slide down to the portion of the road due the size of the tire,the weight of the motorcycle and the weight of the rider that was my finding when I use to ride my 1987 YSR-50.

Maybe there is better tires for the GROM-MSX-125. Maybe our Thailand/UK Grom riders can chime in on this topic since there is more rain in those part of the world and UK riders don't mind riding in the rain.

Like I said from my experience with small motorcycle like the YSR-50 and the way the roads are designed in Calif there is a slippage with these small tire, might be the tire compound, the tire pressure or road design.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Ive eaten so much shit on the nsr50 in rain races that i dont think i want to grom in the rain. Then again i cant foot-out the nsr

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
995 Posts
I hate riding in the rain, when it happens it's usually because of unexpected rain. It would suck riding the Grom in the rain. Plus imagine how much more of a threat people in car are to you when in the rain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stock tires are not ok! Took it home in the rain after a new cam was fitted and it slides all over.. Made me understand why most Euro people have the tires changed before picking up the bike for the first time.

For what i use the msx, the stock ones are fine when it is dry. (I figured why changing when i can burn them with stoppies and burnouts :) )

·
Registered
998 Posts
Stock tires are not ok! Took it home in the rain after a new cam was fitted and it slides all over.. Made me understand why most Euro people have the tires changed before picking up the bike for the first time.

For what i use the msx, the stock ones are fine when it is dry. (I figured why changing when i can burn them with stoppies and burnouts :) )
Do you know what brand tires the UK riders are changing to that helps them in the rain or wet road conditions.

I'm surprise that no Thailand or Asian block country members don't chime in and give us American GROM owners and soon to be owners a little heads up on what is the best tire for the rainy season and wet roads or tire pressure adjustment for the Grom that will help out in the wet conditions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your really taking chances when going out to wet pavement. When you could see the reflection of the lights on the ground its a good sign that you should pull over and stop riding.

I wouldn't do it unless you have a date with the ground you don;t want to miss. Get a dependable weather app and use it by the hour.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't fret too much I just got caught in a heavy thunderstorm last night on my way home from oc the stock rubber is a little slick but I've ridden on worse. A good set of tires is in order though

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
these 12" wheels are a BEAR to swap tires on btw. I have a machine and yet i still farm them out to a shop cause i don't need the headache

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
which ones are you looking in to getting?
from my nsr50 experience on carting tracks:
bridgestones are phenomenal for dry traction. dunlops are second best.
everything else is garbage.
none really do well in the rain except the "race rains" but i don't own those

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
who cares what tires they use...why ride in the rain lol
well transportation.... I'm living downtown Toronto and I'm looking at using the Grom for commuting, the office is 20 minutes walking, 35 minutes public transportation LOL. SO yea I'm looking to Grom instead of peddling myself, how would dedicated rain tires perform in the dry? I'm not looking to do heavy ridding, just point A to point B business mostly...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your really taking chances when going out to wet pavement. When you could see the reflection of the lights on the ground its a good sign that you should pull over and stop riding.

I wouldn't do it unless you have a date with the ground you don;t want to miss. Get a dependable weather app and use it by the hour.
Just ride with good rain gear and shoes and spare socks. Been riding the Hayabusa, my GSXR-1100, my TL-1000r that way in Northern Calif when I commuted to work, no problems at all. You just can't knee down in the sweepers or on/off ramp and watch out for flooding. My favorite rain tire on the Hayabusa was the BT 016 and the 023. I have pushed those tires at 80-100mph with full down pour with no problems.

On small light motorcycle that is a different story.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in Bangkok and the day I picked my bike up it had been raining for 3 days straight (last Sunday).... it was raining all the way from when I left the show room to when I finally got home after dark.... ~50km (not a lot of km's but traffic everywhere and had a couple of stops when the rain really came down).

I was riding conservatively, 2 up with my gf and never felt any problem with traction... some areas I was up to the axles in water for a few hundred meters at a time and I noticed water starts to spray up and over the front tire rather than the tire cut through it... refreshing to say the least lol.

I've put a few more kms on the rubber now and was out again in rain last night... no issues... most of my riding is slicing through bangkok traffic in speeds from 20-60kmph so not very fast, but fairly dynamic due to the heavy and crazy traffic. Also the road surface changes from concrete to broken tarmac to beautiful bitumen often... oh and the occasional foot path when cars don't leave enough space for me to go up the side...

So yeah... no need to change yet but if I do I think I would go for Pirelli for wet weather... they are gaining a lot of praise on local forums.

S.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts