Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear tire surprise when trying to ride to Berkeley Honda dealer

I was going to ride out to Berkeley Honda this morning on my Busa and noticed the last couple of days my rear tire was losing air, I found a small nail in the tire by rolling it around but I did not raise the rear section of the busa and check the whole tire so this morning when I lifted the rear end I found this screw in my tire.
Was heading out to Berkeley Honda to put down my $500 deposit on a Black Grom that should be coming in Dec.

this morning surprise

take the tire down to the local Santa Cycle since that is where I bought the BT023 Aug 8 2013 and asked them if they could put a plug in the tire and they said no we are not allowed to and you have to buy a new tire. So with only 613 miles on my new BT023 I had to fork out another $167.69.

Wow looks like a long screw, there has been a lot of construction work being done around my area and the tearing down of buildings so I guess it fell off a trash truck.

new and old tire, there's a tire place in Santa Clara that will put a plug in my tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you keep the tire? There are quite a few places in the area that will plug them. It's not ideal to to ride on a plugged tire for long but it's not a huge problem if you're not really getting on it. I wouldn't track a tire with a plug but for commute riding, I wouldn't think twice. You have plenty of meat left and it's a great spare to have in a pinch. Hell, if you don't want it, I'll take it and put it in my garage for when my RSV needs a new rear.

Edit: just saw that you're taking it elsewhere to have it plugged. Smart. Definitely smarter than to keep than to junk.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ill plug tires at my shop - I advise customers its not smart to go to the track with it, and I wont do it on the extreme shoulder of a tire but in the middle section its usually not a problem, as long as its not deep down in a tread. I would have plugged that one no problem. I usually dont charge for them as it only takes a few minutes and is an easy thing to do for customer satisfaction.

Glad you saw it before it left you stranded somewhere!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill plug tires at my shop - I advise customers its not smart to go to the track with it, and I wont do it on the extreme shoulder of a tire but in the middle section its usually not a problem, as long as its not deep down in a tread. I would have plugged that one no problem. I usually dont charge for them as it only takes a few minutes and is an easy thing to do for customer satisfaction.

Glad you saw it before it left you stranded somewhere!
I would have plugged that one no problem. I usually dont charge for them as it only takes a few minutes and is an easy thing to do for customer satisfaction.

If I was close to your shop I would have bought my tires down there to get it plug plus I would have left you 5 Calif Mega lotto tickets, 5 Power ball lotto tickets and a 6 pak of your favorite brew or soda. That is the way I roll when some one does it for nothing, have to return the Karma plus that is the Hawaiian style share the wealth and Aloha spirit.:143:

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Nothing wrong with a tire plug... As long as its near the center like SikMoto stated. We had to plug my buddies tire on his gixxer 600 when we were off on our trip in August.

We did some pretty agressive riding too. No issues.

Stew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts