Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to remove the back paint from my spare Grom rims and I used JASCO Premium paint & Epoxy remover.

For safety I did the job outside where there was fresh air. For safety I used a safety glasses, rubber glove and I had a bucket for fresh water to be used to neutralize the solvent in case it got on my skin or in my eyes.

I used an old tooth brush to apply the remover to the rim and I let it seat till the paint wrinkle and I brushed the paint off.

I used an old pie pan "used pumpkin pie pan from Costco", love pumpkin pie. The pan was used to contain the brushed off paint.

I kind of like the look of the rim with out the black paint I might not powder coat it because it is close to the color I want to match my paint scheme.

Start of my project, "nothing like using Trailer Trash mates" card board to save staining your driveway.

tools of the trade

Front rims with some of the black paint off, this is 2 hrs of lazy working with no elbow grease and chatting with my neighbor's Hot wife who came over to watch.

might polish the smooth machine part of the rim and call it done instead of powder coating it the silver color to match the over all color scheme of the look I want.

tomorrow I will finish/detail the removal of the black paint since it was getting cold and dark outside.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
lol !

in for more photos of the finished product. and the neighbors wife!

·
Registered
995 Posts
you might want to use clear coat when you're done to protect the finish.
also in for pictures of the wife as we all are :D

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you did this! Was just talking to a guy at work on what the wheels would like like if you took the OEM paint off and cleared them with no color.

Interesting

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I was hoping the swing arm was aluminum also and I was going to remove the paint from it too, but being steel I will leave it black or I might pull it off and strip the black paint and custom paint it a color to match the color scheme that I'm looking for.

My big wait is the 170cc kit that BrianS is building and testing as we post. I will buy a spare cylinder and send it to him for the sleeve update to the bigger size. Not sure what he is going to do about the heads, I'm hoping it will be a little bigger valves and the port polished and flow tested. Only thing that will suffer from the Grom will be the gas mileage but I could live with 70mpg if I can get 75mph out of the Grom.

Oh back to the wheels and paint removal, using a old tooth brush is good for putting the stripper material on and for removing the paint best brush to get is from Home Depot and it comes in a three brush set and the company that makes it is called WORKFORCE 3 piece assorted mini brushes cost is $3.97. The set has two wire brush and one brush made out nylon and that is the brush I used as not to scratch the aluminum and this brush really got the paint out of the hard to get places such as the center line of the rim and areas around the hub and the letters that are on the rim.

The color of the rim is a dull aluminum on the smooth machined area and spoke area it is sort of light Grey to Pewter color, to me it looked nice and almost matched my Silver color on my Copper/Silver Hayabusa Silver paint.

Hope this helped

·
Premium Member
941 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
so you are just going to leave it bare metal right?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you are just going to leave it bare metal right?
yep I sort of like the dull color, I will clean up the rim as good as I can and clear coat the rim. Not sure if I should remove the black paint inside the rim area where the tire is mounted since no one will see that part but me. To be true to the motorcycle person that does custom stuff I will remove the back paint. More work but I do not have my Grom yet

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I was hoping the swing arm was aluminum also and I was going to remove the paint from it too, but being steel I will leave it black or I might pull it off and strip the black paint and custom paint it a color to match the color scheme that I'm looking for.

My big wait is the 170cc kit that BrianS is building and testing as we post. I will buy a spare cylinder and send it to him for the sleeve update to the bigger size. Not sure what he is going to do about the heads, I'm hoping it will be a little bigger valves and the port polished and flow tested. Only thing that will suffer from the Grom will be the gas mileage but I could live with 70mpg if I can get 75mph out of the Grom.

Oh back to the wheels and paint removal, using a old tooth brush is good for putting the stripper material on and for removing the paint best brush to get is from Home Depot and it comes in a three brush set and the company that makes it is called WORKFORCE 3 piece assorted mini brushes cost is $3.97. The set has two wire brush and one brush made out nylon and that is the brush I used as not to scratch the aluminum and this brush really got the paint out of the hard to get places such as the center line of the rim and areas around the hub and the letters that are on the rim.

The color of the rim is a dull aluminum on the smooth machined area and spoke area it is sort of light Grey to Pewter color, to me it looked nice and almost matched my Silver color on my Copper/Silver Hayabusa Silver paint.

Hope this helped

Also waiting on the 170 from brian=]

pretty sure im just going to bead blast them and paint them some wild color. in the end it's just paint and i know with a little bit of time and fun i could just change it up again=]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts