Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I live about 18 miles from work. The route I take (pretty much the only way) is down a semi-rural 2 lane high way. Speed Limit is 55. Most cars only go about 60 from what I've seen at most, except for your occasional late to work driver going about 70 :race2_smilie: ....

Do you guys think a Grom would be too slow for this road? :confused:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It'll be fine just stay in the slow lane. It can reach those speeds but since I havent tried myself I'm not sure how stable it is.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It'll be fine just stay in the slow lane. It can reach those speeds but since I havent tried myself I'm not sure how stable it is.
This and make sure you are seen. Many morning commuters here haven't had enough caffeine to function and I have seen cars do too many stupid things in the morning.

·
Registered
995 Posts
This and make sure you are seen. Many morning commuters here haven't had enough caffeine to function and I have seen cars do too many stupid things in the morning.
it's why I like staying in the right most lane, the slowest lane, since i just have to look out for people behind me and on the left side. Plus i don't have to worry about keeping up with guys in the left lane that go super fast!

don't want to be like this guy....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8]Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should give it a run. I don't think it will be all that bad considering the times you will be commuting. If it's not busy keep to the right and mind your own business and you should be good during the busy times on the freeway the speed will be less than the limit due to congestion anyways.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is of more concern to me than the interstate cause people can always pass on the interstate, but if the rural road in question has no improved shoulder and no passing lanes, then people might crowd you trying to get around. Here in Texas nearly all our secondary roads have frequent passing lanes, wide shoulders or both, so I can just get over. I used to ride my small scooters all around without a problem...well, not on the interstate cause 42 mph is too slow there, but 60 mph will be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. It's pretty much a straight shot. Not hilly at all. (FL doesn't have very many.) I'm most likely gonna give it a run. These things have my attention that I'll get one even if I can't commute with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would be easy for me to ride the Grom to work. 35 mph speed limit the who;le way, and lots of stoplights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My ride to work is all urban, too much traffic to be fun, whether I'm in my Mustang or on my Ninja. I tend to stick to the same lane and let others jockey around for position. But if it is a nice Saturday, I can have more fun on the bike, way less traffic.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Stable! I drove mine on a highway here in belgium 120km/h limit and i kept it at 95-100 (with passenger) for 30 kms straight
That is good to hear. As long as its stable and doesn't make you feel like the wind will carry you to another dimension I'd say this could work to he an occasional or short distance freeway traveler.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another thing to suggest for riding on the freeway is to have a slip on exhaust just so they can hear you too. It might be annoying since your most likely going to be in full crank but at least they can hear you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Another thing to suggest for riding on the freeway is to have a slip on exhaust just so they can hear you too. It might be annoying since your most likely going to be in full crank but at least they can hear you.
yep I've always believed in this though I know some who dont like loud pipes. :hellangel:

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've ridden to work on my 1987 YSR-50 when I owned it. I had to use a lot of back roads and I even used some of the bike trails to cut distance. I would walk the YSR through the bike trail with the engine off and the key not in the ing and if stopped by the cops I would say it is out of gas and I'm pushing it to the nearest gas station and as soon as the cop would leave I would start up the YSR and head to the nearest gas station to fill up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is good to hear. As long as its stable and doesn't make you feel like the wind will carry you to another dimension I'd say this could work to he an occasional or short distance freeway traveler.
I dont know about other bikes, but even going at 110 kph downhill (or 65 mph I think) the wind is not a big deal. I have to say in addition that is my first bike. the fisrt day I was very nervous, but once I got used is not a big deal

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.