Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since im trying to make my own oil cooler setup and I don't really like the stud off the head for oil feed I was looking at the OIL Temp sensor and was wondering why didnt they tap it from there? I took out the sensor to see if it had any pressure and I started it up and it does spit out a little oil but I wouldn't say it was that strong but then again its a small motor. What do you all think? its #5 in the picture.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Oil Sensor

Chris,
The oil sensor does not read pressurized oil, but the oil that is returned by the cam chain. It helps the ECU figure out if the engine is hot. The Grom oil sump does not get over about 208'F @ 70'F air temp. So unless you are in a very hot part of the world, or you run the engine real hard, it really does not need a cooler. Regular 10w30/20w40 oil is easily good for 285'F. I installed a thermocouple in my engine sump to measure the oil temp, because I did not want to get in trouble with the big bore kit.
Make Sense?
Brian

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian thanks for the info and I already did a little test and found out there is not enough pressure. My grom is a toy so im going to push it hard every time already with the fuel / timing controller the redline is raised a lot and I plan to blow up the motor more than once. I know it sounds stupid but I am pushing the limits to see how fast I can make it go and a oil cooler is going to be ok for me as I know I will get a big bore kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts