Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how's everyone's bike treating them? So I have a question for other owners I'm having a hard time finding first it feels like its going in but its still in neutral without the indicator lit. Are the gears that clunky or do I just need more break in? I'm a little over a hundred miles now I'm hoping its just gonna get smoother I dunno... Anyone else having problems with chunky gears and finding first?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not missing a gear its putting it in first at a stop it seems to want to hang in neutral when rolling it falls right in

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's not missing a gear its putting it in first at a stop it seems to want to hang in neutral when rolling it falls right in
Yep, mine did exactly that. It also felt crunchy shifting for the first few dozen miles. Having read online about other new bikes having similar issues when new I just chalked it up to being my first new bike and kept riding. Now almost 500mi later and it's smooth with the typical Honda CLUNK! No issues anymore.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I missed a gear yesterday and it totally pissed me off! WTF? Yes, my gears are totally clunky and I am positive it was just me being in a hurry plus new bike. I slapped on my new pipe and now I can hear and feel my engine much better. Too quiet stock, IMO. Need to learn powerband and gear ratios. Won't happen again! I have 50 miles and it is still tight. Nothin' but good. Honda quality! Better to go from second down with a slight tap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gear shifting was somewhat hard at first, with a very noticeable 'clunck' noise. After almost a thousand miles it's a bit better but not as smooth as one could wish. During the first few rides, it happenned to me to fall on a 'false neutral' somewhere between second and third... didn't like it! But maybe i was a bit in a hurry then...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine is clunky as all hell, hard to find neutral (unless I'm in traffic and trying to make the 1-2 shift) and sometimes refuses to go into 4th. I foresee a transmission replacement under warranty in my future. I think mine must just be a bad unit. I know how Hondas are and this is anything but typical and certainly not expected.

That being said, I only have about 180 miles on the clock. We will see...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Neutral is sometime hard to catch... I just spent close to a minute trying to find it before shutting off for parking. It seemed it was stuck in first, so i had to pull hard and of course jumped to second again, tried to be softer pushing down but went back straight to first... and again, and again... It's the first time i'm having so much trouble with that!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Neutral is sometime hard to catch... I just spent close to a minute trying to find it before shutting off for parking. It seemed it was stuck in first, so i had to pull hard and of course jumped to second again, tried to be softer pushing down but went back straight to first... and again, and again... It's the first time i'm having so much trouble with that!
Same issue here. Happens to me all the time :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
...following up on my previous post regarding 'hard to catch neutral', i really had a bad day with this. It happened to me almost each time i wanted to park and did drive me crazy on occasions - just stalled the engine and sorted things out latter. :confused: :mad:

Think about it! You just drive about your favorite restaurant, as cool as you can, expecting to park as usual, still riding but on neutral, with engine off, very smooth... And you find yourself fumbling with the gear shift, desperately trying to find the damn neutral while on a collision course with the restaurant front door and possibly some customers casually getting out the place...!!!! Lol :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had any problems finding N... Have you guys tried to let the clutch out just a little until it starts to engage them pull it back in and try to click it into N at the same time? I usually click it into N when I'm downshifting from 2nd as I come to a stop...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't gotten mine yet, but been on bikes for years, for you folks struggling with neutral, are you rocking the bike back and forth a little while doing it?
If the tranny is static (not moving), it can be hard to find neutral in almost any bike at times, but if you rock it a little, which moves the gears in the tranny a bit, then usually it'll slip right in.

Are you guys doing that?
Just curious?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
For anyone that is having the issue of changing gears and what not. Just rev it up a tad and it'll go right into N. For when the turds off, do what he says above, roll it forward or back to move the gears around or whatever and it'll change gears as well.

I feel as most people that are complaining about this don't much much riding experience or really understand how it works.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
One more thing, and this goes with what you guys were saying...if I don't scroll down the gears and come to a stop, to get it to first I have to play with the clutch a little. Rolling it back and forth would work too but I find it easier. I realize I should be scrolling down as I'm rolling, but either way my other bikes don't behave like that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One more thing, and this goes with what you guys were saying...if I don't scroll down the gears and come to a stop, to get it to first I have to play with the clutch a little. Rolling it back and forth would work too but I find it easier. I realize I should be scrolling down as I'm rolling, but either way my other bikes don't behave like that.
^^^^ this my rf900 and katana never did this

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I have heard some Grom owners mention revving it up a little with the clutch pulled in and then trying to getting it in to neutral makes it easier. Is this true for you guys?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have heard some Grom owners mention revving it up a little with the clutch pulled in and then trying to getting it in to neutral makes it easier. Is this true for you guys?
Yes.... Just takes a little flick and it goes right in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts