Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to get my first bike for years now. Now that I'm about to graduate, I think I deserve a little present :D

Can someone chime in (in a non bias opinion :eek::p) on what would be a better starter bike, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or the Honda Grom?

The Grom looks sexy as hell, but is the same price as last year's model Ninja 250 and has less power.

Any opinions?

And oh, hello new community :) I'm only active at one other forum and sometimes reddit, so I could use a new place to chill.

A little about me. I live in Ohio, was in the Army National Guard for seven years, got out in 2011 to finish school. Graduate in May :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
The grom is a mini-bike.

The ninja is a regular motorcycle- albeit on the small end. I guess it really depends on whether you want to go on the freeway or not.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Personally, I would go for the 250, the Grom/MSX125 is a 3/4 size bike. I could see you wanting the Honda as it looks so cool, but after 6 months, you might feel it was a bit limiting (speed / handling).

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with jthspace. You will definitely be limited with the Grom. They are both good starter bikes but the 250 will just give you more options in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i don't know if the Grom is a starter bike as it is more of an enthusiast bike. i've owned a bunch of 600's and liter bikes and i want a grom hahah. but not as a replacement- as a fun second. which is why i think you'll quickly grow out of it (you'll grow out of the ninja in a month)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it really depends on where do you want to go with it. If you are in the metropolitan area it will be pretty nice. But if you plan on getting on highway a lot, a ninja 250 would work better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Neither, find a used 750-500cc motorcycle of your choice. Most used bikes have low miles, and there are plenty of deals out there. Just get what you plan on riding for a while whether it be a ninjas 250 or a Harley sportster.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've been wanting to get my first bike for years now. Now that I'm about to graduate, I think I deserve a little present :D

Can someone chime in (in a non bias opinion :eek::p) on what would be a better starter bike, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or the Honda Grom?

The Grom looks sexy as hell, but is the same price as last year's model Ninja 250 and has less power.

Any opinions?

And oh, hello new community :) I'm only active at one other forum and sometimes reddit, so I could use a new place to chill.

A little about me. I live in Ohio, was in the Army National Guard for seven years, got out in 2011 to finish school. Graduate in May :)
Welcome to the Grom Forum!

I'm in the same boat as you...been wanting a Ninja 250 for awhile myself but after finding out about the Grom, I'm going with this one. I like the thought of it being smaller and lighter as I am only 5 feet tall. For me, the Grom seems to be a better starter bike fit but after I get comfy with riding, I'll probably venture out into regular sized sport bikes....we'll see ;)

I guess I think of the Grom as something that I can have a ton of fun with (would love to learn how to do tricks on it). And also it'll be a bike I can ride just to cruise around town.

Best wishes with your decision!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
(you'll grow out of the ninja in a month)
oh don't start with that bs... i've been racing for a few years and still find a 250 to be great. it's slow, but you can carry tons of corner speed
there's no rider on this planet that will be fast enough to outride a 250 ninja in a month of experience.

Reactions: jrbmuscleig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also consider if depreciation and cost/availability of parts is a factor.
My 2 cents for a first bike is get something that's already depreciated. Then when you're ready to move on or up you can get most or hopefully all of your money back, and it's not a big deal if you drop it or ding it up. I like the 88-07 250 because they're inexpensive, there are 20 years worth of used parts on the market, and if need be, the dealers still support them.
On the other hand this looks like a promising bike and maybe they'll be popular enough to hold their value. And we're only talking $3k as opposed to the typical $12-$25k for new bikes.
You mentioned being a student so I assume every penny counts. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Also consider if depreciation and cost/availability of parts is a factor.
My 2 cents for a first bike is get something that's already depreciated. Then when you're ready to move on or up you can get most or hopefully all of your money back, and it's not a big deal if you drop it or ding it up. I like the 88-07 250 because they're inexpensive, there are 20 years worth of used parts on the market, and if need be, the dealers still support them.
On the other hand this looks like a promising bike and maybe they'll be popular enough to hold their value. And we're only talking $3k as opposed to the typical $12-$25k for new bikes.
You mentioned being a student so I assume every penny counts. :)
Good points for both bikes! I couldn't agree more! I also was searching for Ninja 250's up til 2007 -- inexpensive and they had a slightly lower seat height for shorty me. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also a lot of people I spoke with who started on the 250, and upgraded really liked it. Most regretted getting rid of it too. But it all depends on what you're looking to do. Don't limit yourself though, get both if you can!

========
Sent from my Droid intelliPhone!

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Decisions, decisions.

A lot of us here already have bigger bikes. So im getting one for the fun factor. If i go out and ride my 1000 like i stole it I will be going 150 mph is seconds, which can get me into a lot of trouble.

This little monster I can get out and beat on and never get above 60. Now, this doesnt mean its potentially less dangerous, its just that the fun factor for booting around town will be higher.

Thats just the way I feel.

Stew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts