Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I build a (a few actually) street legal CRF50 that did 80+mph. Now Honda take all the fun out of it... NOT!!! FINALLY I have an excuse!! And it's already good-to-go!!

Hi Folks!! It may be time for the Ol' Moosehunter to get back into "it". Details to follow... I hope... ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome!!

It's been a few years since this "kid" has ridden anything smaller than a 400cc supermoto. But now with the Grom making an apperance, I may be swayed to get back into the saddle.

Here's a shot of my attempt at a mini supermoto from way back when...

Dern near every trick part America had to offer and some brought in special from the Land of the Rising Sun. Displacement was unknown. The last "true" kit installed was a 117cc. After that it was custom bores, pistons and head work. Huge carb and only a 2 valve head. The only thing I wish I had completed was installing the 5 speed gear box. With only 4, the gaps between shifts were quite large. But it did make some righteous noise getting up there and backing it into corners was a thrill to say the least! Top speed was GPS'd at 81.7. I'll see if I can find the citation I was giving by the Minnesota State patrol. LOL!! I see the officer every once and a while (shoots trap with us old guys) and he STILL can't believe he ticketed a "mini-bike" on the interstate! LOL!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!!

It's been a few years since this "kid" has ridden anything smaller than a 400cc supermoto. But now with the Grom making an apperance, I may be swayed to get back into the saddle.

Here's a shot of my attempt at a mini supermoto from way back when...

Dern near every trick part America had to offer and some brought in special from the Land of the Rising Sun. Displacement was unknown. The last "true" kit installed was a 117cc. After that it was custom bores, pistons and head work. Huge carb and only a 2 valve head. The only thing I wish I had completed was installing the 5 speed gear box. With only 4, the gaps between shifts were quite large. But it did make some righteous noise getting up there and backing it into corners was a thrill to say the least! Top speed was GPS'd at 81.7. I'll see if I can find the citation I was giving by the Minnesota State patrol. LOL!! I see the officer every once and a while (shoots trap with us old guys) and he STILL can't believe he ticketed a "mini-bike" on the interstate! LOL!!
I believe it might have hit 80mph plus, my 1987 YSR-50 hit 70 mph tops but I only had the counter gear up one tooth "I think it was 1 tooth", copper head gasket for more compression, tooney pipes, re-jet carbs, modified airbox, Barnett clutch system and springs, and some other trick stuff that I can't remember off hand.

Been looking for another YSR-50 for a long long time until the 2014 GROM came out and bam I'm in on the Honda GROM.

couple of reason for the GROM, teach my daughter how to ride a motorcycle, have my friends who want to learn how to ride a motorcycle, easy to put on the truck and take to the beach or mountain or camping, Beer/lotto ticket run, save money on gas, and put a big ass smile on my face watching other people see a big guy ride a small ass motorcycle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mr. Smut!! It's been a while!! You still rockin' the Sumo's? Last I heard the DRZ had given way to Team Orange. Still have that one Halloween pic of ya!! ;)
great to still see your handle poppin' up!

yep, i picked up another DRZ so now i have one orange and one black :D

still have fiddies too, a TTR and CRF....still have the YSR.

i got into the Ruckus scene years ago and i've been waiting for the Grom. i snatched a black one today.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
so you gonna get a GROM of WHAT?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts