Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a bolt on spoke wheel set up? I'd like to swap out to spokes in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Does anyone know of a bolt on spoke wheel set up? I'd like to swap out to spokes in the future.

I like the looks of spoke wheels but with my experience with spoke wheels on my 1988 Honda Shadow VLX600 it was a nightmare when I got a nail in the tire and it became a dangerous situation as the air was gushing out of the tire as I was riding on the freeway. Rims with spoke and tubes are a bad combo in commute riding and such. I know of only one company that makes spoke rims that are sealed so that you can use tubeless tires and I think the company is called American wheels or rims. They make rims for V-twin bikes such as Harleys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be a play toy for me so I'm not worried about commuting conditions.
I'm hoping there is a bolt up Monkey or similar wheel to bolt up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The spoke do look quite nice on the Grom, but the tire pressure issue mentioned beforehand kinda turned me off to that....

Sent from my Droid intelliPhone!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
noob question : why would the spoke wheels be any different for air leaks?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The spoke do look quite nice on the Grom, but the tire pressure issue mentioned beforehand kinda turned me off to that....

How bad would it leak air?
I doubt it can be bad enough for someone to stay away from it for that reason that originally wanted it

·
Premium Member
703 Posts

Sweet looking MSX. I have seen this picture before but I was so amazed but the rest of it I never looked at the wheels. Classic style with those style rims.

Noo sure why it should different than any other rims for holding up tire pressure.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Attempting to run tubeless tires on spoke wheels, they will leak without the wheels being sealed.Lots of vids on youtube about sealing spoke wheels to run tubeless tires.I haven't done it.I haven't seen a need in my situation to seal my spoked wheels for tubeless tires.Tubes work great in tubeless tires.No break downs or issues yet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How bad would it leak air?
I doubt it can be bad enough for someone to stay away from it for that reason that originally wanted it
Ifa tube were used, no prob. But i tend to just get a little paranoid.

========

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I still am not knowledgeable enough to understand the problem

·
Registered
237 Posts
I still am not knowledgeable enough to understand the problem
Spoke wheels requires a tire tube or require that the spokes be sealed air tight to prevent flat tires.This can be avoided completely by running a tire tube.Most tires now are tubeless,but they can still be run with tire tubes.They wear faster and heat up a little more.It's the price to pay for having fun.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlItWwxiRvs]XRM MODIFIED- How to make a non-tubeless into tubeless for spoke type motorbike.mkv - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the spokes give it more of a vintage look. To me that's a huge plus.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts