Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go to the gym even though we had a pretty good down pour in the morning and the roads were wet and slick in the Bay Area California. This was our first real down pour of the season since we are in a drought stage. There was a lot of oil and slick on the expressways and roadway

Decided to ride like I normally ride when it is dry except the sweeper turns I slowed down a lot.

First impression of wet roads Grom stock tires and stock brakes, Grom still under 300 miles on the ODM.
Brakes work fine even when they got a little wet.
Tires held up pretty good on hard take off from the stop light no spinning etc.
I weight 212 lbs so I assume the added weight kept the Grom planted on the wet roadway.
I love the stock Whale tail which kept the wet road water and mud and grim from splashing on my back.

So my conclusion is that if you are caught in a rain storm and wet roads don't panic with stock Grom tires and brakes they work great.

Leaving Gold's Gym Santa Clara

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this is not my experience. Stock tires on the wet are unreliable and one should be very careful IMO.
what is your weight?
I wt 212 lbs and 218 with riding gear

What mileage was on the Grom tires when you experience these unreliable usage?
My grom tires had 200 miles on them when I rode for the first time in the rain.

What type of roadway were you riding on?
Our roadways in San Jose Calif are made with a cement mixture and sometimes recycle shredded tires are used and mixed in.The City of San Jose allows 15 percent RAP in asphalt base, the AC layer under the 2-inch surface layer.
more info on Calif roadways here
Asphalt Pavement Recycling

I believe that various roads in the world have different process in making them and with the roadway materials and such will show the out come on how your tire will perform.

I believe Thailand and most Asia countries have more rain than we do in San Jose and I haven't seen too many complaints from those MSX-125/Grom riders from those countries. The Asian riders and most of them are a lot lighter in weight than most of the US/European riders.

I do know that the first rain storm is the most dangerous since the oils and other products from cars/truck leaking these items on the roadway will float or stay on top of the roadway on the first rain, esp around stop signs, toll booths, etc.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i hate getting wet.

thanks for sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts