Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing that the grom is so tiny, I wonder how bad the theft rate will be for these when the arrive in the states as anyone should be able to get the grom into the back seat of a car:(

Any suggestions or ideas on keeping your grom safe from gromnappers?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here's what i always did and do with my little honda bikes,

Never leave it unattended if you can, i have mastered myself to have 1 eye on my bike.. always lol!
Steering lock is a logic first step, big ass motorcycle chain lock is the second one (grom wheels are perfect for big chains) and something solid to hang your grom onto.

Anyhow if they really wanne steal it they will still do the effort to crack everything open.. you can get brake disk locks, ive seen clutch locks, alarms and 1001 other things to secure your bike! So its up to you wich you find the most handy / secure solution for your needs!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sure a combination of chain, lock, wheel-locks, alarm, and maybe even a firearm or two would help discourage any gromnapper lusting after your bike. I've seen wheel-locks as cheep as $20 USD and as high as $80 USD.

Just remember, when selecting locking equipment and/or an alarm system, you get what you pay for. Do what works best for you, and always remain vigilant with your machine.

A rule of thumb: use a form of security slightly higher than you deem necessary. Cuz you can't be too secure....

Reactions: ACE_666 and xkumak

·
Registered
13 Posts
With it being over 125cc it will have to be registered here in the states so it will be insured, Weather you have fire and theft is your option. Scooters are swiped around here a lot but the 49cc scooters are not registered so the stolen ones are just ridden away to be used in another town, The Grom will be a issue to ride without getting chased by cops if not tagged with a legal plate. But I agree with everyone that you should chain it up because most thief's look for the easy score NOT one they have to work too hard at getting. Taking too much time will get them seen and then in trouble.

Dauntae

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
A chain with a lock is a good theft deterrent but if they really wanted it, it will be gone.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as for the chain.... I wonder how much cargo space the grom will have under the tail seat, if any:(

I plan on riding this to work 5 days a week so hopefully I can carry something that's quick and efficient for the safety of the gromnappers.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they want to take it they will, no matter what type of chain or device you are using to lock it down. The only safe way is to have insurance covering theft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
as for the chain.... I wonder how much cargo space the grom will have under the tail seat, if any:(

I plan on riding this to work 5 days a week so hopefully I can carry something that's quick and efficient for the safety of the gromnappers.

There is next to no room under the seat

Could not fit a full size alarm - let alone a chain

The only room is where the manual is stored under the seat and that's like 5 x 3 x 1/2

No room even for a disk lock

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is next to no room under the seat

Could not fit a full size alarm - let alone a chain

The only room is where the manual is stored under the seat and that's like 5 x 3 x 1/2

No room even for a disk lock
Dang..... Maybe I can just keep a lock at work like said above. Considering I'm not allowed to bring a backpack in, I guess is have no other option.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dang..... Maybe I can just keep a lock at work like said above. Considering I'm not allowed to bring a backpack in, I guess is have no other option.

You can wear the lock arround your body, thats how i sometimes do it if i have no bag to put it in (wear it like one of those ammo belts) works great for me.. it might hurt if you fall but you gotta do something right?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts