Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need some help. I'm thinking of jacking up my bike a bit for my build and was wondering, what must I take into consideration when changing forks?

Obvious to me is that the new forks must have fit into a new set of triple trees, but beyond that I am lost. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Mark

·
Registered
254 Posts
You need to read up on the rake/trail calculations to verify with your new length forks that your rake/trail isn't so messed up it makes the bike unstable. If you plan to reuse the stock triple then it's just a matter of matching the diameter of the new forks to your current ones. If it were me though I would check the size of the steering head and see if you could find a similar sized bike to swap the entire triple/forks/wheel/brake combo over to the Grom.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just want to stiffen mine up.

BTW, those forks are huge and also tapered. You might look to see if the TT is tapered to fit as well (I would assume that it is). If that's the case, Dodgerider's idea of swapping out the whole mess would likely be easier.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just want to stiffen mine up.

BTW, those forks are huge and also tapered. You might look to see if the TT is tapered to fit as well (I would assume that it is). If that's the case, Dodgerider's idea of swapping out the whole mess would likely be easier.
A whole front end swap is the most popular way of doing it on many bikes... for example SV650 owners put a GSXR front end on. It upgrades suspension and brakes at the same time. Though the brakes are good on our Groms, there is always room for improvement. Doing so in this kind of a swap may allow for better suspension AND better brakes.

P.S. The tech experts will be releasing some suspension upgrades for us very soon. You might just want to wait and see what they offer.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
A whole front end swap is the most popular way of doing it on many bikes... for example SV650 owners put a GSXR front end on. It upgrades suspension and brakes at the same time. Though the brakes are good on our Groms, there is always room for improvement. Doing so in this kind of a swap may allow for better suspension AND better brakes.

P.S. The tech experts will be releasing some suspension upgrades for us very soon. You might just want to wait and see what they offer.
Hint hint wink wink right?

I am a fan of complete swaps. I would guess in a year someone will have a solution with an adapter/misc part kit that will make it easy as gassing up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.