Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned here and there that my transmission has been giving me a very un-Honda-like pile of problems. Constantly catching neutral, a little finicky putting into neutral, really clunky gear changes, very vague shifting at times, frequent skips in 3rd gear, the occasional 3rd miss resulting in lots of jumbling and grinding, and the constant resistance to shifting into 4th. Well, as soon as the guys at the service department rode it on Friday, they knew there was a definite problem. Even the guy who didn't actually ride it could tell it wasn't right. Of course I already knew that, obviously, because I was already there. Anyways, they said Honda is very interested in my bike, seeing as how they haven't really had any issues. So, I'll be taking it in tomorrow and leaving her with a group guys who will probably be tearing her all apart in search of the culprit. Not sure how this is going to go, but I hope they make it quick! I'm so used to getting 100+ mpg that it's going to suck getting 15 mpg when running around town!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I occasionally got the "no 4th gear" problem (after going into 3rd it wouldn't click up) but I attributed that to breaking in, and haven't had it happen for a while.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I occasionally got the "no 4th gear" problem (after going into 3rd it wouldn't click up) but I attributed that to breaking in, and haven't had it happen for a while.
I was hoping that this was all due to break-in, but after over 500 miles, I figured I'd better address the issue. I've bought brand new Hondas before and never had any problems. Like I said, I know there's something wrong because it wasn't giving me the Honda quality I expect.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yah me too, sometine the 4th gear is quite hard to shift.

Also for some reason sometimes i cant catch the neutral when im in 1st gear, simply impossible to switch up, have to release the clutch, moovie some cm, and then i can switch.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting this is not the first I have heard of this issue with the tranny. Especially trying to get in to neutral from first. The way I do it is rev it up a little and then it will go in to neutral. Thought this was normal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hopefully this is just on a specific range of Grom's and not all of them, maybe we can start by mentioning which production number grom we own?

·
Registered
62 Posts
No issues with mine whatsoever. Loving it at the moment! Hope yours is sorted soon mate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hard to get neutral is normal (for some) just roll the bike a hair.. Dun

Only "issue" I've had is it popping out of first back into neutral but quickly chalked it up to too soft of a first gear shift which keeps it from fully going into gear

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have them just drop in a new engine. Your new engine should not be split for tranny problems.
I was really hoping that's what they would do. I want my bike back like RIGHT NOW so I can stop wasting gas. And I figured if they took that route they would have ample time to do some research and hell they could even ship it to HQ in California if they were that interested. The question then would be...how long would I have to wait for that? I doubt they have an extra Grom engine on hand, so god only knows how much time it would take to get one shipped in. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. That's why my name is Murphy...

·
Registered
13 Posts
It may take some doing but try and call Honda customer service and explain the situation. Tell them you want a new engine that you just won't have trust or faith in it if it wasn't assembled by honda at one of there factories.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only argument would be that I believe in Americans (just like I do anyone else) and I think they can fix it properly, without having to be concerned about another factory mistake. They called me and said Honda told them to go ahead and pop the case open, and if it requires a motor pull, they'd have to go ahead with a complete disassembly.

Ideally, in order to minimize my downtime, I think if it required a complete teardown, they should have a new motor/trans assembly ready just in case. That way, it doesn't make it necessary, but in the event of very in-depth repairs, they don't waste too much of my time. Hell, a loaner bike would have been great, but they couldn't do that for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Guys, I mean this nicely but you're crazy if you think:

A) they're going to have an engine waiting just in case

B) they won't do what they can to repair before replacing the entire thing

and/or

C) a call saying pretty please swap the motor will get them to do it.

Its a $3000 motorcycle, with literally NO overhead built in, not many in the country and since it's a 2014 there are very few spares around. It's a small, easy work on and easy to repair motor; a lawn mower repair shop should be able to fix it! I get you're pissed, I get you want it back, and I get people are trying to help but they'll fix it in their time, it's just the way it is, sorry to say.

What you do need to do is get them to show you the damaged parts, extend your warranty by any time it spend in the shop and guarantee they will cover any future problems related to the initial problem and rebuild. Tell them your concerns, they may offer you an extension of a year or two.

But strong arming them won't help. The more you rush or push this situation the less likely you'll be to get it fixed correctly.

My opinion only.

Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, I mean this nicely but you're crazy if you think:

A) they're going to have an engine waiting just in case

B) they won't do what they can to repair before replacing the entire thing

and/or

C) a call saying pretty please swap the motor will get them to do it.

Its a $3000 motorcycle, with literally NO overhead built in, not many in the country and since it's a 2014 there are very few spares around. It's a small, easy work on and easy to repair motor; a lawn mower repair shop should be able to fix it! I get you're pissed, I get you want it back, and I get people are trying to help but they'll fix it in their time, it's just the way it is, sorry to say.

What you do need to do is get them to show you the damaged parts, extend your warranty by any time it spend in the shop and guarantee they will cover any future problems related to the initial problem and rebuild. Tell them your concerns, they may offer you an extension of a year or two.

But strong arming them won't help. The more you rush or push this situation the less likely you'll be to get it fixed correctly.

My opinion only.

Mike
I think you're right, Mike. My power as a customer goes only so far. I just hope they have her fixed and back to me before too long, and that there will be some sort of amendment to my warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You guys crack me up.. Don't want to wait for your bike to be diagnosed and worked in for free thanks to your warranty, maybe try doing the diag and work yourself? Save the terrible hassle of going in for service

1 - 20 of 45 Posts