Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
The other night I read the thread from Racetech about their shocks, springs, etc. I also read the prices that they were charging, an also the responses from the Forum. Please don't misunderstand me, I am a fan of Racetech products, but it underscored an issue here, with this $3000.00 motorcycle that we all like. It would be pretty easy to double the cost of this bike with aftermarket parts.

Ok, where am I going with this thread. I have been designing a modified cylinder head to compliment the 170cc big bore kit. Well my first thought was to port the head the way that I want it, max'ed out, lots of hand labor, over the top. Normally that approach will give you 90% to 95% of what you want. But for way less hand work, a little more machine work, I could have 80% to 85%, for a lot less money. Here's the kicker, unless we are at the drag strip, or on the Cycle World dyno, you or I would never feel the difference. There maybe 1 or 2 MPH difference, when I just added 10 15 MPH to the bike with the bore kit. This bike will fly with 170cc's. So why not sell a ported head for about $200.00 less labor.

I have the over the top head finished, using stock valves. It will be flow tested by Tuesday. Then I'm going to install 1mm larger valves & reflow it. Then I'm going to finish the 85% heads, & flow them with stock & +1mm valves. Honestly, I'm guessing that there will be very little CFM difference. My goal here is to keep the labor price as low as I can, but still have a modified head that really works with the 170cc kit. I'm not made of money, any more than you guys are.
Make Sense?
Brian
PS, Now if you decide to go racing, that's another story, we'll have to talk.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
The 170cc is going to give the Grom that perfect amount of ass it's lacking...... I can't wait till it's sound and ready to buy as I'm without a doubt going to do this.

ps.... I love my grom as a 125cc for those of you that don't have one. It's by far some of the most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I would look at this like the Honda Ruckus. Many spend more in aftermarket mods than they spent on the scooter itself!! So many different ways to make it your own. I believe many would want the grom to be a sleeper. Little small bike that can hold it's own. Just the way I look at it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I am also looking forward to what the 170cc motor will do on the Grom. I'm still waiting for my new GROM to come in and is slowly gathering the parts for the first GROM. Will I buy a second GROM yes and the second one will be used for upgrades such as the 170cc engine and other go fast parts.

Do I love going fast, yes and have seen my 99 Hayabusa speedo hit the 220 mph indicator many times. I'm I tard for riding that fast yes, it's in my blood to do extreme things.

I want my GROM to be a sleeper small bike but yet keep up with most modern cars. I like the idea of people making fun of me sitting on a small motorcycle, been through that when I owned a YSR-50 but I had fun on that thing.

I don't care what people say about the GROM on the road or on the Hayabusa website that I belong too. People seem to judge people on what they own, how they look or wear. I live by the way I feel just as long I don't bother or hurt other people.

So I'm looking forward to this 170cc parts and so with the air assist front tube mod and any other mod that will make my GROM go faster and handle better esp if the parts are made in the USA and supports a working mech engineer with good things to build and sell for a reasonable price that is good for the customer and will make the designer a little money for them self or company.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The 170cc is going to give the Grom that perfect amount of ass it's lacking...... I can't wait till it's sound and ready to buy as I'm without a doubt going to do this.

ps.... I love my grom as a 125cc for those of you that don't have one. It's by far some of the most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
who doesnt like more ass

:D

:motorbikesmilie:

·
Registered
40 Posts
have you tried your ported head on the stock motor and fuel map ? just wondering if head work will help before you get the new piston and cylinder kit arrive . trying to get options and pieces lined up . Putting some funds away now but most are going to the kids for Christmas .
Thanks for the all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.