Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance in Ontario sucks bad, but I want to still ride. How are these bikes for distance riding and highway? Worth boring them out to gain hp?
:GoldGW:

·
Registered
201 Posts
well depends what kind of displacement you're looking at. Anything under 500cc should be relatively affordable.

GROM will survive the highway but barely. Were talking a top end of 62 mph if you're light enough ;)

distance riding will hurt your azz...

but who am i to say, i know we have a few guys here who do distance and highway on the GROM...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ontario Canada? If so, you must live in the city for insurance to be that bad. It always helps to live outside of the city or to have a relative that lives far away from the city that will let you register your vehicle under their household.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ontario Canada? If so, you must live in the city for insurance to be that bad. It always helps to live outside of the city or to have a relative that lives far away from the city that will let you register your vehicle under their household.
I've heard of people living outside the city in order to get lesser insurance prices. I am from BC and we have state run insurance so there is no competition. There is only one provider and one price.

@xtina is your screen name a reference to the pop star??? (if so, good job!)

·
Registered
336 Posts
For extended highway rides, I'd suggest at least a Ninja 300. Way more of a bike than the CBR250 could hope to be. The Grom needs to be pegged wide open on the highway. I'm 200 lbs and I got 63 once, an it took a while to get there. Any slight incline and she would have rapidly lost speed. Modding is the only answer here.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Insurance in Ontario sucks bad, but I want to still ride. How are these bikes for distance riding and highway? Worth boring them out to gain hp?
:GoldGW:
Doesn't look like it's the best choice....yet

Potential is still there

Maybe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Coming from a 2008 250r I would not even compare the two bikes on the highway. Somedays in Miami even 80mph is the norm. The grom is perfect for around the city but the highway would be very scary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMHO the grom is definitely not a highway bike. Modding it to become so would be a costly and long stretch... and would probably make it illegal on the public roads. Its just not designed for the task. Size, power, braking, comfort and only four gears... I think i managed to reach 65mph once but i didn't feel very safe then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The tire sir alone makes a huge difference at those speeds as well. 2008 ninja 250r was 2500 bucks. Only thing that sucked was it was carbed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts