Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did notice on a couple of tiddy tail videos and rack install Grom users warned about getting the rear bolt or washer going into the rear FRAME HOLE if you have fumble fingers and the bolt falls out of your finger tip and the bolt or washer go into the FRAME HOLE.

I put a strip of Duck Tape over the two frame holes before I mounted my luggage rack in reinstalled the whale tail.

question for Grom owners who installed the luggage rack and kept the whale tail, How did you get the rear center cut out tab and whale tail to lock in place? For me I had a hard time to get the rear tail to snap in correctly. The forward two tabs I had no problem except the two tabs are not pushed forward all the way but about 3/4 way till flush.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did the same thing with the tape .. i just used blue painters tape
People who think outside the box always go against the grain and question there is a better way to do things.

There are followers, book smart people and then there are thinkers, and brain stormers, and people that take apart things just to see how it is made and they try to make it better.

You and I think a like, I bet you like Beer and burger or a good steak and a good woman or two.:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
question for Grom owners who installed the luggage rack and kept the whale tail, How did you get the rear center cut out tab and whale tail to lock in place? For me I had a hard time to get the rear tail to snap in correctly. The forward two tabs I had no problem except the two tabs are not pushed forward all the way but about 3/4 way till flush.
I had the same issue and never did manage to get that center tab in place so I left it out and it's not been an issue. Probably dinked around with it 45 minutes or so before finally giving up and asking the exact same question as you on here with zero response so I'm not sure anyone has figured it out.

I can get either the two tabs or the one clip but not both to hook up; the non-English crappy instructions don't help. It's rock solid without it but my OCD kills me not having it in place!!!

Post up if you figure it out, I bought a cheap tidy tail thing I may install this spring but I'd rather keep the longer fender.

Mike

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same issue and never did manage to get that center tab in place so I left it out and it's not been an issue. Probably dinked around with it 45 minutes or so before finally giving up and asking the exact same question as you on here with zero response so I'm not sure anyone has figured it out.

I can get either the two tabs or the one clip but not both to hook up; the non-English crappy instructions don't help. It's rock solid without it but my OCD kills me not having it in place!!!

Post up if you figure it out, I bought a cheap tidy tail thing I may install this spring but I'd rather keep the longer fender.

Mike
looking at it again, you have to install the forward two tabs in about 1/4 way and put your luggage rack between the whale tail and the bottom Grom tray, loosely install the two front mounting bolt, now get the rear mounting bolts loosely installed, now you will need maybe three people total to get the rear tab in, you will put a small wide pry bar/screw driver/etc into the area where the tab is and you push down on the tab while one of the other person pushes up on the whale tale area that has the mounting slotted hole, the third person will now push or tap in the tail section and with all these help the tail should go in close to what you want.

Make sure your Grom is in gear or your tire is locked in a tire chock or something that will secure the Grom from sliding forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts