Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a chance and save time, I went about 8 miles down the 101 (nor-cal) today. It seem to cruise just fine @ 55 MPH, the tach was showing about 7400 RPM. I did see 60 + once in a while. Got off before I saw any cops, didn't want to push my luck !

· Registered
51 Posts
Decided to take a chance and save time, I went about 8 miles down the 101 (nor-cal) today. It seem to cruise just fine @ 55 MPH, the tach was showing about 7400 RPM. I did see 60 + once in a while. Got off before I saw any cops, didn't want to push my luck !
Depending on what section you were on- that may not be legal. The Grom is not freeway legal on most california freeways. Only a few that are 55mph do not restrict motor-driven cycles (149cc and below).

· Registered
254 Posts
I would be hesitant to ride on the freeways in Cali just because of the law regarding our engine size, but having ridden mine on the slower highways in town I know they are perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic at 55mph. If your town (non California) has slower speed highways you occasionally need to travel on then I wouldn't worry with the Grom.

· Registered
160 Posts
FYI first gear limits at 27mph second limits at 43 third redlines at 58 I haven't redlined 4th

im more comfortable with my ruckus on the freeway, but once I do the motor work to the grom im sure ill take it on the freeway

· Premium Member
703 Posts
Thanks for pointing it out, I am sure it cleared some jitters for those who were iffy about doing the highway runs. Dodgerider26 actually filmed an on board video of himself on the highway.

· Registered
254 Posts
Does anyone have a manual for it yet? Does it say anything about prolonged runs at WOT?
No vehicle is designed to operate at it's maximum RPM. You'll prematurely break valve springs if nothing else happens, though realistically you might run into cooling or oiling issues first. Perhaps you could overheat the head and seize up the cylinder... lots of reasons to not do this. Now, is it bad to ride a few miles down the highway if you keep it around 7,000 rpm? Nope. Would I recommend it for more than about 10 minutes? Nope.

The engine is most efficient around 4,000-7,000 rpm. That's its sweet spot. Anywhere below or above that and you can feel it's working too hard.

· Premium Member
1,004 Posts
keep in mind, motorcycle speedos read about 10% high. so that 55 was more like 49.5...

· Premium Member
1,004 Posts
No vehicle is designed to operate at it's maximum RPM.
yet racing should be perfectly reasonable (if my nsr and crf are any indication of honda's small engines)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.