Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my brother and I have the first 2 groms reserved from our local dealer, and while waiting for them, we have been discussing some things. These past few days we have been talking about tracking our groms. Suspension and tire mods, maybe some crash/frame protection, and then hitting the track. We used to do track days on our old SV650s so we're a bit familiar with the process, however, we have no idea how it works with such a tiny bike...

What is the proper venue for a Grom track day? Outdoor kart tracks? Are those even long enough to have a good time? I've been looking online and I have found a few local kart tracks, varying in course length between 1/5th to 1/3rd of a mile. That seems awful short for something that can reach 60-65mph. The websites for these kart tracks mention open days for public use of the track, and bringing your own kart, but there is no mention of super-special-3/4size-motorcycle. Somebody educate me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have specified, do kart tracks ever have motorcycle events or sessions?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I should have specified, do kart tracks ever have motorcycle events or sessions?
absolutely. see this thread:
http://www.gromforum.com/forum/2014-grom-general-discussion-forum/6818-any-mini-racers-here.html

if you can't find a mini racing organization, find a supermoto or pocketbike group near you. they will either allow you to come play, or will point you in the right direction.

some carting orgs will allow you to split time with them as well (like one session is bikes, one session is carts). no they will never let you out there at the same time. basically it depends on the insurance the track carries (whether their carting insurance allows bikes as well)

as far as track size, don't even worry about it. the supermoto guys race on the same tracks, and those bikes are usually good to almost 100mph. you will find corner speed to be king, not top speed or acceleration

·
Registered
288 Posts
I ride on kart tracks all the time. A local one told us we are welcome to run any open practice not on a race weekend.

The question you need to ask them is if they use NKA insurance, if the do then their insurance covers bikes and karts. Bikes have to be under a certain cc but I forget what size it is maybe 450 or 500 might be 250. I will have to ask next time I go.

We just run a different session than the karts which is no problem cause they already run like 5 different sessions, I swear they not Ike to pass each other.

Check my garage for photos of my Minibikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts