Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its 50/50 whether or not I'll trigger the light. Anyone else having this issue?
Did you just go ahead anyway?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Drop the kick stand, walk over to the cross walk that will be walking in the direction you are riding, hit the button a couple times, walk back to your bike and wait a few seconds, no sense in running a red light and risk getting that kind of citation

·
Registered
998 Posts
Drop the kick stand, walk over to the cross walk that will be walking in the direction you are riding, hit the button a couple times, walk back to your bike and wait a few seconds, no sense in running a red light and risk getting that kind of citation
yep walk to the crosswalk switch

or I have my gopro hero3 black video to prove to the judge I waited and no signal for me for a certain amount of time and I proceeded with care and caution.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've always had problems with the lights in my area. Made a thread about this before.

Just treat it like a red if it doesn't turn. Or make a right and uturn somewhere.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of the time a car will come behind me to trigger the light but sometimes its just me and a little bike sitting alone on the street.
LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Might check the laws in your state. In Missouri a motorcyclist or bicyclist has an affirmative defense to the charge of running a red light if they meet certain conditions (came to a complete stop, waited an unreasonable time, no traffic coming the other way, etc).

Section 304-285 Red light violations by motorcycles or

Many lights in our areas being changed to cameras that look for traffic in "zones" instead of using the inductive loops in the pavement. I've tried the magnets for the loops with limited success. I've also heard, but never confirmed that if you have repeated issues with a light you can contact the DOT to have them adjust it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In IL you can go through red lights on two wheeled vehicles if there are no other cars at the light. You just have to treat them like a stop sign. Makes night riding amazing, you pretty much never have to stop and wait!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Actually before thinking a light isn't detecting you... Make sure it's not a pretimed light....

Contrary to belief some lights are pretimed and will do a fixed cycle at fixed times... Those lights no one can trigger unless your ems...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Even when I had my Triumph 955, I could not trigger them here in SoCal. Granted, a lot of the bike is aluminum. I do have a steel bicycle that I can trigger lights with if I stand on the circle and lay the bike down.

Unfortunately in California we have no equivalent of allowing (motor)cyclists to go through reds if they are stuck. We only have a law that requires new sensors being installed to be able to detect (motor)cyclists.

·
Registered
336 Posts
North Carolina has a provision for going through a red light after waiting for a while. I forget the exact rule, but I kept a copy of it in my jacket pocket just in case I got pulled for overriding a red light.

Everyone just check your state laws. There are plenty of resources out there to help you find the answer.

Oh yeah, and my other bikes never had that problem, but my Grom sure as hell does.

·
Registered
237 Posts
None of my bikes including the big ones will set the traffic lights off.We have a law here allowing motorcycles to run them at a certain point.I don't know the law and don't use the law.I simply go right and around the block or turn around in a parking lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.