Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a more economical option? reliability? cost?

I'm likely going to do NEITHER but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The swap is probably cheaper, more reliable and will cost less. Think about all of the time needed to fab up the turbo....

·
Registered
336 Posts
After messing with hot rodding LS series GM motors and spending tens of thousands on cars...my opinion is...TURBO!! Building nasty N/A setups is way cool and super fun, but nothing beats a stock or close to stock motor with a turbo. Superchargers are way more expensive, full motor builds (as fun as they are) just can't match the power, and nitrous is like having a super needy, but really hot woman. Nothing says FU like a stock truck motor with one or two turbos for under $3k. That being said, if you can make it work on a bike, turbo is the best way to get STUPID fast. If you can handle that. I think I'd rather build my Grom than turbo it though. Just preference for the application. 150cc with supporting cam/intake/exhaust components would be nasty enough for power wheelies in three gears. Who needs more from a Grom?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
After messing with hot rodding LS series GM motors and spending tens of thousands on cars...my opinion is...TURBO!! Building nasty N/A setups is way cool and super fun, but nothing beats a stock or close to stock motor with a turbo. Superchargers are way more expensive, full motor builds (as fun as they are) just can't match the power, and nitrous is like having a super needy, but really hot woman. Nothing says FU like a stock truck motor with one or two turbos for under $3k. That being said, if you can make it work on a bike, turbo is the best way to get STUPID fast. If you can handle that. I think I'd rather build my Grom than turbo it though. Just preference for the application. 150cc with supporting cam/intake/exhaust components would be nasty enough for power wheelies in three gears. Who needs more from a Grom?
I am not familiar with these tiny honda motors, but you are coming from the LSx engines.... which can love boost more than I love BBQ.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Stock LS love N2O more than boost, but lower the CR and prepare for warp speed. I would assume the same applies for these little Honda motors, but I would only hesitate slightly, due to the fact that they are air cooled. That being said, I've heated the ever-loving-hell out of them before, and they still run just fine.

Also, with a car, it's easy to find space for a hair dryer. With a bike, that can cause unnecessary complication. Which is why I say that for cars/trucks, turbo it. But for bikes, bore/stroke/cam/int/exh, and hold the F*** on! It will blow your mind, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what sort of motors do you think will fit that are worth the effort?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
what sort of motors do you think will fit that are worth the effort?
I, myself an not sure... I imagine ordering a partial motor and a bore kit would be best, just incase it went down.....

But the fabrication of the turbo setup and making sure you don't go BOOM would be a bit more time.... and we all know time=money

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone think that turbocharging a tiny grom motor will over stress it, Honda reliability notwithstanding? I also wonder if swapping the stock engine for a larger displacement will raise a new host of issues such as over stressing the frame or brakes or something. Modifying carefully designed OEM setups might be more unpredictable than one thinks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i would go for heavy engine tuning instead of turbo if i would change mine. bigger cc's DOHC head! all those lovely pieces.. wonder when they are coming up with that for injection!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2lsUKSQmIw]daytona 150 4s dax.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKbvjJuRTo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKbvjJuRTo[/ame]

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The advantage of a motor swap is that if you do blow that motor you have your stock motor sitting around that you can just put back in. Just gotta figure out what fits without an excessive amount of work and irreversible customization.

·
Registered
259 Posts
hmmm yea, but the persons who buy thousands of dollars of tuning parts probably have the $$ to get the broken parts replaced.. + i think it is hard to downsize on power once you tune up your grom :)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The advantage of a motor swap is that if you do blow that motor you have your stock motor sitting around that you can just put back in. Just gotta figure out what fits without an excessive amount of work and irreversible customization.
This is what I think. If I end up with a Grom and can swing it, I would get a second motor and a big bore kit to swap in complete so that there is a replacement if necessary. My inlaws have had some of their quads/dirtbikes go down and I hate their disappointment because they have to wait XX days or X weeks for the rebuild...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wonder if there's a lay-down format two stroke motor you could fit in there. A CR80 motor would be downright wicked in this thing, especially if it came with a 5 speed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts