Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought this poor excuse of a Grom. 2014 badly taken care of and highly abused 1/2 bike.

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Fuel tank Automotive tire

Well I tore this poor thing down to the bare bones. The engine was in need of some tlc due to a badly repaired clutch case.

Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

So I upgraded it to the Kitaco replacement case cover and while it's open I replaced the oil pump too. The previous owner had already put in a new clutch with a Koso clutch plate.

Blue Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire Train Wheel Wood Motor vehicle

Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Nickel

Next the frame need attention... I stripped it down and sand blasted it and found a few cracks... so I had to bust out the mig and fix her up.

Automotive tire Jaw Bumper Bicycle part Wood

Bicycle part Automotive tire Cylinder Gas Bicycle fork

Fixture Gas Composite material Circle Metal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2

Well I fixed up all the cracks and went on to paint. My plans are to make this grom match up to my track bike a KTM RC390. So I painted the frame and swing arm in KTM orange.

Wood Engineering Composite material Machine Art

Got a newer used wire harness and started putting it on as I finished painting the engine.

Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Musical instrument Orange Motor vehicle Wood Gas

Orange Musical instrument Wood Engineering Machine

Put on a Chimera cold air intake while I was at it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Now on to the head stock. Tore it down took all the bearings and races out and replaced it all and put on a new top triple. Went with a Cock's and a set of there risers for fat bars.

Bicycle part Gas Curtain Auto part Rim

Fun parts next... figuring out the wiring. I got a motionpro start stop switch set up and a Domino throttle tube. Set it up with the stock connector and got it all wired up.

Handheld power drill Camera accessory Drill Hammer drill Bicycle handlebar

Got the new/used body work and had my graphics guy make up some vinyl that matched my race bike. My race team is called Orange Bomb Racing and my WERA racing number is 444.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Also got my carbon like seat today and fit it up. I guess since it was a stunt bike there was a couple of extra bars welded in. I had to modify aka cut up the battery tray and the bottom of the seat to get it to all fit up.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Now I'm just waiting on my Ohlin's front and rear suspension and a few other bits n pieces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Messed with them new exhaust and rearsets. I hung the bike up so I could work on those parts while I'm still messing with the frontvand rear wheels and suspension.

Bought a dual high mount kit off amazon and it's actually pretty nice. I first installed it and the pipes weren't where I wanted them the were flaring out.

Reflex camera Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Digital camera

I had to grind down the tabs that are on the mounting brackets and I was able to push them in more for a tighter fit.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive wheel system Auto part

Put on my Driven rearsets. Nice part is they come set up so you can shift standard or GP by just changing the attachment point. On the brake side I ran into a issue where the lower mounting nut had been changed to a m10-1.5 and the rearsets use a m8. So I had to cut it off and weld on a new nut.

Tobacco Gas Fluid Wood Auto part

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Saw Automotive design

Let's see... I was going to changed out the fork internals when I had found that one if the had been badly curbed at some point and the fork seal end was dinged up to badly to fix. So I just tore them apart and will wait for the new/used ones to show up before I install the new Ohlin's valves and spings.

Musical instrument Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Tool Hand tool

Sleeve Wood Office supplies Magenta Cylinder

Painted up the wheels in my KTM Orange after I had blasted them. Going to get them ready to have some new rubber installed this week along with a nice set of 90° valve stems.

Wheel White Automotive tire Light Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Did some wiring and soldering to get the rear tail light working along with the brake light. So waiting on the other bits n pieces but should be able to get it back on 2 wheels soon and fire up the engine to check out the exhaust.

Happy holidays

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added some bling bling tonight... Ohlin's rear shock.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

Rear integrated & sequential tail light.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting

Happy Holidays

·
Administrator
22 Posts
So waiting on the other bits n pieces but should be able to get it back on 2 wheels soon and fire up the engine to check out the exhaust.
Looking forward to hearing it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well hooked up my 3 bar led head light to my aftermarket switch setup and mounted bracket.

Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Hood Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Got some Dunlop rubber put on as well. Now I'm waiting on the new ebc v rotors and pads and the Spiegler orange n black brake lines.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I had the day off and got my replacement forks today and so I tore them down and cleaned them up and installed the Ohlin's springs and valves. Filled them up and installed them on the bike.

Cleaned up the old brakes and shot them with a couple coats of black. I ordered Spiegler lines and got them yesterday so I filled and bled the brakes and put them on. I have been waiting on new rotors n pads from ebc but I decided to just put on the old ones to get the bike on it's tires. I also got my 36t Vortex rear sprocket and put it on.

I still need to put on the new chain but will need to size it and cut it down and will need to work on the shifter rod setup.

But as for now this is how she sits! 95% done!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I added the trellis bars and frame sliders from T-Rex. Now it's about as close to a mini KTM ish pit bike as I can get.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

The only thing I lack now is getting my flasher relay and set up the front and rear blinkers. I wired up the horn tonight as well. So once the signals are on I can go get a plate for it and make it street legal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts