Honda Grom Forums banner

Upgrading Brakes (Front / Rear) Comparison, Review, Writeup and Installation Videos

16K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  kneedragger 
#1 ·
In stock Trim, the FRONT Brakes on the Grom are decent. Unfortunately, the Rear are really bad.

Like most of you, we are going to be bumping up the HP and increasing the Speed of Grom... So we wanted better brakes.

For us, you can never have too much brakes. We look it at like this. Even if upgrading your brakes only saves you a few feet shorter from say 40 mph to Zero... that could mean the difference between stopping in time, or slamming into the back of that driver who pulled out in front of you, or switched lanes last minute.
You don't think about brakes until you need them. And when you need them, you want as much stopping power as you can.
For us, it's safety thing more then anything else.

The Galfer Wave rotor not only came out to be 1/2 lb lighter then the stock one (BIG PLUS) .... it's also a higher quality laser cut steel. Higher Friction coefficient to have more stopping power. Yet, the Wave design dissipates heat more effectively, so they don't overheat and warp under extreme conditions. Overall... better brakes.

And we will verify this, by having a Before and after Testing.
If the 2 Piston Design is not enough for us, we also have scheduled a 4 Piston Brembo Caliper upgrade along with a Brembo RCS15 Mastercylinder.

But, for now... we will start with this.

FRONT upgrade: Brembo 34mm 2 Piston Caliper, Tyga Bracket, and GALFER Front Wave Rotor & SS Brake Line.

REAR Upgrade: Brembo 34mm 2 Piston Caliper, Tyga Bracket and SS Brake Line.

So before we started doing anything on our GROM Project we took measurements of everything so we had a baseline.

Now, please know……. These numbers may differ from yours. Specially our acceleration numbers and braking numbers.
There are soo many variables to take into account (Rider Weight, Ambient Temperature, Altitude, Humidity, Hours on Motor, Hours on your brakes…etc)
So, please don’t go out and try and duplicate these numbers, or get frustrated that our numbers are not the exact same as yours.
This is JUST… so WE have a Baseline for OUR Grom, to compare to when we start making our changes and modifications.
Then we can see what if any improvements happened. eg(Less Weight, More power, More torque, shorter braking distance…etc)

BONE STOCK BIKE PERFORMANCE: (Temp: 58^ , Alt 760’ , RH 68% )

Braking: 30 mph to Zero

Front Brakes ONLY
1) 31.5’ Avg. of 10 attempts

Front & Rear Together
1) 29.5’ Avg. of 10 Attempts

Rear Brakes Only
1) 83' Avg. of 5 attempts (very poor)

This told us, the rear brakes are really really bad, and don’t help a lot. Normally rear brakes “Should” Make up for about 20% of your stopping power. For our Grom it’s more like 6% (29.5/31.5)

Now, time to change the brakes............. And then go out and Re-Test them. :

BRAKE UPDATE REVIEW

So we have some GREAT News, and some BAD News.

First the Bad news.
It seems the Galfer Wave rotor and the UPGRADED BREMBO Calipers are NOT very Compatible.
Reason is……… The Galfer Wave Rotor is designed specifically for the STOCK Calipers.
And these Stock Grom Calipers have a Pad height of only 24mm. So Galfers optimum “Friction” Surface is 24mm tail.
Where as the Brembo Caliper Pads are 45% Taller surface area at 35mm.

See Photo: >>

If you look at your stock rotor, you will see the OEM Pads are ONLY contacting about 50% of the Stock Rotors “Friction Surface”.
So when you upgrade to the BREMBO Calipers with the Taller Pads, you will now be using 100% of your “Friction Surface”

See how our rotors now have all of the friction surface being used after the Brembo Caliper Upgrade.

Now you may be saying, Can't I still use the Galfer Wave Rotor with the Brembo Calipers.
Well............ Yes…… You can use the Galfer Wave Rotor with the Brembo Calipers.. if you really want to.
Do we recommend it……… NO.

So Basically, you have now a STAGE 1 Brake Upgrade with Just the Galfer Wave Rotors, and retain stock calipers.
This is for those who just want to save some weight off their brakes (1/2 lb per rotor), and get a little more performance, and a great price.

Then you have STAGE II Brake Upgrade…… Where you swap over to Brembo 34mm Calipers, brackets, and SS Lines.
And if you want even more, you can upgrade to a BREMBO Mastercylinder as well.

So it’s not that one way is better then another… They are just different.

Both are an improvement over stock.

NOW……. For the GREAT NEWS.

Check out the Data we got from Today’s BRAKE TESTING.

Front Brakes ONLY
STOCK ............................................ 31.5’ Avg. of 10 Attempts
Brembo Upgraded Calipers ........... 26.9' Avg. of 10 Attempts
Galfer Front Wave Rotor ................ 29.2' Avg. of 10 Attempts

Front & Rear Together
STOCK ............................................. 29.5’ Avg. of 10 Attempts
Brembo Upgraded Calipers ........... 24.5' Avg. of 10 Attempts

Rear Brakes Only
STOCK ............................................ 83.0’ Avg. of 5 Attempts
Brembo Upgraded Calipers ...........68.5' Avg. of 5 Attempts ( Limited by Rear Tire Traction on Cold Pavement)

This was amazing. We knocked off nearly 20' with the Rear Brake upgrade only.
Combined BOTH Upgrades it was 5' Shorter distance.

And remember, this is only going 30 mph to ZERO.
Most likely doing 40 or 50 to ZERO Stops would yield even More contrast from STOCK vs. the Brembo Upgrades.

Money well spent, for a safer Ride. :)

See less See more
Reactions: chye
#3 ·
Another nice benefit.

The Brembo Calipers are lighter then the stock ones.. by almost 1/2 lb.

Not to bad.

#4 ·
Here is the Latest Update to this Thread.

INSTALLING the REAR Brake Line, .........and then NEXT will be Installing the FRONT.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moxDAohlWWM"][/ame]

>> [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moxDAohlWWM[/ame] <<

#5 ·
I'm wondering about the clearance for the rear brake lines if I go 140/70-12 on the rear tire. I do not have my Grom yet but I was wondering how much room I have for the rear brake line if I go with Brembo Cal and mounting bracket while still retaining the rear fender.

I'm buying my parts right now before I get my grom and I will be painting fenders, body parts and wheels. Just a little worried about clearance with different/bigger/wider size tire-rim. Thanks for any info

#6 ·
I'm wondering about the clearance for the rear brake lines if I go 140/70-12 on the rear tire. I do not have my Grom yet but I was wondering how much room I have for the rear brake line if I go with Brembo Cal and mounting bracket while still retaining the rear fender.

I'm buying my parts right now before I get my grom and I will be painting fenders, body parts and wheels. Just a little worried about clearance with different/bigger/wider size tire-rim. Thanks for any info

Funny you should ask, because we will actually be doing the same thing... going to a 140/70-12 Michelin Power PURE.

And there is No worries.

There is plenty of room when you route the line correctly. :)

#7 ·
#8 ·
So we have some GREAT News, and some BAD News.

First the Bad news.
It seems the Galfer Wave rotor and the UPGRADED BREMBO Calipers are NOT very Compatible.
Reason is……… The Galfer Wave Rotor is designed specifically for the STOCK Calipers.
And these Stock Grom Calipers have a Pad height of only 24mm. So Galfers optimum “Friction” Surface is 24mm tail.
Where as the Brembo Caliper Pads are 45% Taller surface area at 35mm.

If you look at your stock rotor, you will see the OEM Pads are ONLY contacting about 50% of the Stock Rotors “Friction Surface”.
So when you upgrade to the BREMBO Calipers with the Taller Pads, you will now be using 100% of your “Friction Surface”

See how our rotors now have all of the friction surface being used after the Brembo Caliper Upgrade.

Now you may be saying, Can't I still use the Galfer Wave Rotor with the Brembo Calipers.
Well............ Yes…… You can use the Galfer Wave Rotor with the Brembo Calipers.. if you really want to.
Do we recommend it……… NO.

So Basically, you have now a STAGE 1 Brake Upgrade with Just the Galfer Wave Rotors, and retain stock calipers.
This is for those who just want to save some weight off their brakes (1/2 lb per rotor), and get a little more performance, and a great price.

Then you have STAGE II Brake Upgrade…… Where you swap over to Brembo 34mm Calipers, brackets, and SS Lines.
And if you want even more, you can upgrade to a BREMBO Mastercylinder as well.

So it’s not that one way is better then another… They are just different.

Both are an improvement over stock.

NOW……. For the GREAT NEWS.

Check out the Data we got from Today’s BRAKE TESTING.

Front Brakes ONLY
STOCK ............................................ 31.5’ Avg. of 10 Attempts
Brembo Upgraded Calipers ........... 26.9' Avg. of 10 Attempts
Galfer Front Wave Rotor ................ 29.2' Avg. of 10 Attempts

Front & Rear Together
STOCK ............................................. 29.5’ Avg. of 10 Attempts
Brembo Upgraded Calipers ........... 24.5' Avg. of 10 Attempts

Rear Brakes Only
STOCK ............................................ 83.0’ Avg. of 5 Attempts
Brembo Upgraded Calipers ...........68.5' Avg. of 5 Attempts ( Limited by Rear Tire Traction on Cold Pavement)

This was amazing. We knocked off nearly 20' with the Rear Brake upgrade only.
Combined BOTH Upgrades it was 5' Shorter distance.

And remember, this is only going 30 mph to ZERO.
Most likely doing 40 or 50 to ZERO Stops would yield even More contrast from STOCK vs. the Brembo Upgrades.

Money well spent, for a safer Ride.

#10 ·

Thanks Chye.

Always appreciate the feedback.

#11 ·
Thank you very much for the honest write up and review.

I rather some one do the testing and come out with good results and post them with out worrying about the bottom line of making money than being the bottom line of customer safety as far as motorcycle riding and mods.

Keep up the good work and testing

#12 ·
Thank you very much for the honest write up and review.

I rather some one do the testing and come out with good results and post them with out worrying about the bottom line of making money than being the bottom line of customer safety as far as motorcycle riding and mods.

Keep up the good work and testing

Thanks for the comments.

That is our goal.

We don't just sell the parts. We use them, test them, review them, videos, Photos... and share our findings with the forum.

That way you guys/gals can make the best decision for you, with the most information possible.

#13 ·
Hi guys a quick question.
1.I have a chimera front caliper bracket with a feign front brake caliper. can i run the galfer front rotor with this brake set up?

2. I have dual brembos in the rear p32 calipers. Can i use the galfer rear rotor with this set up? I can see the front being a problem which would pertain to what you guys listed above but as for the rear would it make that much of a difference on the rear ? Please advise. I have them installed and they seem to work perfectly but i would like a professionals opinion. That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#14 ·
I just put on the complete Galfer kit. Front and rear rotors, pads and steel braided lines. The improvement was very impressive! I might even upgrade to there HH sintered pad after I get used to the current level of improvement.
Brembo would have been an option but I was doing this on a budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.