Honda Grom Forums banner

Warming up your tires

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  mad8vskillz 
#1 ·
For all you northern (ny) and area riders who are now experiencing colder weather, how long do you let your tires warm up before you ride a bit faster? 5 minutes? No minutes? 10 min? Any tricks?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#8 ·
To my understanding of new sport tires.... weaving back and forth wont heat up the tire faster, it will actually slow the process. The tire is flexed the most while up right. I weave back and forth in the canyon after turning around only to scrub off that loose gravel the tire picks up being sticky.

As for how long to warm up tires? If your just commuting it would be irrelevant in my opinion. Twisities? I take the first mile or so easy then step it up... I'm running bt003's = super sticky

#9 ·
I think he means this...

Normal riding from the get go should warm up the tire enough. I would do 5 mins of riding on small streets going at least 25-30 mph and some stopping before hopping on the freeway. Braking would be a good help to start it off since flexing tire carcass would generate heat inside, so that will contribute.

#12 ·
lol its a GROM with what like <10 hp, and small 12 inch tires

do i need 2 warmup my tires on my r1 in the AM, nope, but i also dont ride like an idiot and abuse 156hp to the wheel when its cold out

when i get mine, imma pin that shit everywhere in the am in the rain, fuck pinning it to park it in the garage to

#13 ·
lol its a GROM with what like <10 hp, and small 12 inch tires

do i need 2 warmup my tires on my r1 in the AM, nope, but i also dont ride like an idiot and abuse 156hp to the wheel when its cold out

when i get mine, imma pin that shit everywhere in the am in the rain, fuck pinning it to park it in the garage to
quoted for the truth :p

#16 ·
welp i jus got my grom today,

i have no freaking clue as to y u guys think this bike needs 2 warmup the tires, there is no other throttle for me other then 0 - WOT

the thing moves so slow - i doubt the tires would ever slip unless you literally rode into a oil puddle, there is not enough hp/trq to break traction EASILY, it would be seriously hard too

the only issue i have is coming from my r1, i normally downshift into 1st out of habit around 40mph, 40mph putting the grom into first kinda locked the rear a few times before i realized i cant do that nemore :)

also my clutch friction zone is all the way out, trying 2 explain clutch friction and modulating the throttle to my gf (whose new to riding) is difficult with the zone all the way out at the end of the lever travel.

i also seem to always revving above the 2x red rpm tachs in 1st/2nd gear

im happy with my purchase - the only negative thing i was expecting was the 125cc to have some more power (like 2x what it has now), that thing feels like a 50cc pocket bike to me.

#23 ·
the thing moves so slow - i doubt the tires would ever slip unless you literally rode into a oil puddle, there is not enough hp/trq to break traction EASILY, it would be seriously hard too
the thing you're missing, is that it's not powerslides that throw you on little bikes. it's tucking the front and corner slides. Both of those are also tire-temp dependent.

#19 ·
You should be able to adjust your friction zone to be closer to what you're used to..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
yup trying 2 get that setup now, but i just realized the idiots at the dealership really didnt do any inspection/setup at all

my tires were low around 20psi

my rear brake light is not setup/adjusted at all - so it currently doesnt work at all

my clutch lever is all the way out, and with no more adjustment on lever side so i will hafta go to the engine side to adjust now

#22 ·
on the nsr, i've had a couple cold tire crashes. Drop the psi by a couple pounds and that helps a little. For street, you never really get up to temp to begin with so i doubt it will make any difference.

as far as swerving to warm up the tires, it doesn't actually work as well as accelerating and braking. swerve does very little for tire temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.