Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As requested, here's a video showing the performance of the Grom on the highway. If you live in a big metro area then yes, you can get on slower speed highways for shorter distances. If you have far to go, or if you need to go faster like 60-65... then no, the Grom isn't the right bike. In this video though I found some 55mph highways in Kansas City and proved the Grom is perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic for short distances.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgRducYEHo]Honda Grom on the Highway - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funniest part of the video, "Be Brave Dodge, Be Brave!!!!!!" LOL

Awesome!
After all the talk on the forums about how you can't go on the highway I was a little nervous. Once I got up there I realized I was still the same size compared to cars as I was on side streets. Since I was able to keep up I've now been on the highway for a total of about 30 mi (out of 425 on my bike).

·
Registered
64 Posts
As requested, here's a video showing the performance of the Grom on the highway. If you live in a big metro area then yes, you can get on slower speed highways for shorter distances. If you have far to go, or if you need to go faster like 60-65... then no, the Grom isn't the right bike. In this video though I found some 55mph highways in Kansas City and proved the Grom is perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic for short distances.

Honda Grom on the Highway - YouTube
Why would you not recommend it if you need to get to speeds of 60-65?

I have taken my grom on the freeway 3-4 times and so far I have felt fine. Other than occasional wind gust or the wash from a large semi truck, the grom feels very stable at those speeds.

I'm only 5'3" 145 pounds and i can get to 60+ fairly easily and quickly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you not recommend it if you need to get to speeds of 60-65?

I have taken my grom on the freeway 3-4 times and so far I have felt fine. Other than occasional wind gust or the wash from a large semi truck, the grom feels very stable at those speeds.

I'm only 5'3" 145 pounds and i can get to 60+ fairly easily and quickly.
I wouldn't recommend it for 2 main reasons.

1) Highways rated at 55mph are typically done so because they have more entrance/exits which means you have more opportunities to get off if needed. The faster highways often have fewer exits meaning you might be put in a situation where you are stuck on the highway for several miles with nowhere to exit if you got caught in a lot of traffic that was making a dangerous situation for you.

2) Though you might be able to legally travel on the highway because you can hit 60 or 65mph, you have absolutely no spare power if you need to pass someone, if there is a hill, if it's windy, etc. By leaving yourself no spare room it's more dangerous to you and others. Highways rated at 60-65 typically see traffic moving 65-70... even 75mph. There's just no room for error and it would be terrible if a truck came along behind you at 70+mph and didn't see you just barely going 65.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Of course. Even though the speed limit may be 70 mph, when you are in and near cities, the traffic keeps you from going that fast anyway. Around Austin and San Antonio where I live, you generally find yourself stopped due to traffic being so heavy in that 70 mph speed limit. States are all different and often you do see minimum speeds of 45mph required. In Texas there is no minimum speed requirement or minimum cc bike requirement. The only requirement is that you not impede traffic, and that can be easily accomplished by staying in the right lane so everyone who wants to can pass. No problem. Don't tell anyone, but I plan on doing a lot longer than a couple of exits on the interstate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course. Even though the speed limit may be 70 mph, when you are in and near cities, the traffic keeps you from going that fast anyway. Around Austin and San Antonio where I live, you generally find yourself stopped due to traffic being so heavy in that 70 mph speed limit. States are all different and often you do see minimum speeds of 45mph required. In Texas there is no minimum speed requirement or minimum cc bike requirement. The only requirement is that you not impede traffic, and that can be easily accomplished by staying in the right lane so everyone who wants to can pass. No problem. Don't tell anyone, but I plan on doing a lot longer than a couple of exits on the interstate.
Yeah, I'm hesitant to recommend it to people because everyone lives in a city which is unique. Having been in your area (see my videos from October 2012) I know exactly what you mean. There the Grom is perfectly capable on the highway since Texas highway traffic is either moving 90 or 40 depending where you are.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good video. U say u weigh 145. How bad is it is u weigh 195-200 lbs? These grins still rip with a heavier rider?
I weigh 170 but with my riding gear and everything I carry I actually weigh about 190 riding weight. Yes, it's still a blast! It pulls VERY nicely to about 45 so I know that even a bigger rider than me could have fun. I've let a couple heavier friends ride it and they took off down the road very easily. I don't think it would be a problem unless you are starting to push 250 or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Honda Grom on the Highway - YouTube
:motorcycle3:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.