Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Soooooo

I had originally been looking at the cbr250 vs the ninja 250/300 before hearing of the grom but due to some issues, getting a bike is on hold until next summer. Now I'm a bigger guy at 6' and over 300 and I'm tempted to poke around. I like the styling of the bikes like the fz8 and fz9 but the feel of a cruiser isn't bad. I've ridden dirt and taken the mrc to get my endorsement and recently stopped by a dealer who had the Bolt on the showroom and it felt rather comfy...

Now what bikes should I test ride before making my decision? I set the limit at $10k, but my wife would rather see much less lol...

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
don't get a cbr250..... if your'e looking in that direction id go with the cbr500 as they're almost identical with a ton more ass behind it but not enough that it's not going to kill you or will you get bored with it in a month or two. a real fun bike that is a great cheap find is the drz400sm, by far the most fun iv'e had besides the grom as i can take it anywhere and get crazy on it all while being able to keep up with the guys on the sport bikes in the twisties.

·
Registered
336 Posts
don't get a cbr250..... if your'e looking in that direction id go with the cbr500 as they're almost identical with a ton more ass behind it but not enough that it's not going to kill you or will you get bored with it in a month or two. a real fun bike that is a great cheap find is the drz400sm, by far the most fun iv'e had besides the grom as i can take it anywhere and get crazy on it all while being able to keep up with the guys on the sport bikes in the twisties.
Listen to the Zebra. The CBR250 SUCKS. I've ridden one and I honestly preferred my Grom. I love Honda but they messed that one up. A CRF-L would be alright, but in order to handle 300 lbs of rider weight I think a little bigger bike is a good idea. The Kawi 300 was a good bike, just kind of plain for my tastes. Ride a bunch of different bikes, man. No one is stopping you.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
the crf250l IMO is also a turd, just a taller turd. the kawasucky 300 is actually pretty sweet as well as they look almost just like it's big bro mr.636. or maybe a ninja 650 for that kinda laid back relaxed sport bike feel/dirt bike type style. really we could go on for ever with options of bikes, you should really just go to a few dealers and sit on things and see what you like. the sales rep might hate you after spending hours with you all day with no intent to buy but at least you will have a better understanding on what You're going to be comfortable with and that's what matters the most.

·
Registered
154 Posts
10k? Find an rf900 one of my fav bikes and they last FOREVER. Or a tl1000. Either one is awesome for larger riders(6'4" here) I only bought the grom new because there are no used ones. Take the extra 7 grand you save and buy a grom when/if they come back on the market

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
don't buy new (unless it's a cheapie)
lots of 1-3yr old bikes with very low mileage are on craigslist for half of what they cost new

Reactions: floppyzebra

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had been liking the 250 just as insurance was dirt cheap but that damn Bolt....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts