Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is NOT what I look like when I ride.
[/URL][/IMG]

previously I spent a loooong time wearing scorpion exos. finally got fitted and bought an Arai (yeah, i was spending tons on gear and yet wearing budget helmets...). Thorough shout-out to theservicepavilion.com for the fitting, and sizing, and getting me a lid that should help keep my melon safe...

I suppose the way I look at it is: if an Arai doesn't help, nothing would have

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're highly misinformed if you think the protection a helmet provides has any relation to the cost or name on the helmet. A Snell helmet is a Snell helmet whether it says Arai, Shoei, Scorpion or HJC on it; what you are paying for is fit, comfort, finish and overall lifespan of a helmet as the less expensive one start to fall apart after using them a while where a more expensive one will usually be lighter, vent more and last longer.

What is most important is that the helmet fit you, be comfortable enough to wear it all the time and be current in its design and ratings as that does change every few years. As well, unless you know what type of accident you are going to have you don't know what rating is the best protection; at times a DOT certified helmet will actually be a better helmet than a higher rated one. Read up on REAL helmet rating information and you'll see that a proper fitting helmet is the best thing, NOT cost or brand. But that's full face vs. full face, however; half and open face helmets are all compromising safety.

Not saying a $750 Arai with limited edition graphics isn't a good helmet, but you are wasting very good money if you think it will somehow protect you better than a $125 plain white Scorpion because in the end it won't.

Fwiw, I have spent tons of money on Shoei's and Arai's in the past and while they were great helmets (except the Arai which shape wise doesn't fit my large, round melon) they were not worth the cost to me in the end. I wait until the winter of every other year and buy a closeout mid-level last years helmet for around $125; the last few were a KBC Force RR, a Bell Vortex and my current favorite HJC FS-15. This way if I drop it, scratch it up or it gets "used" somehow I'm far more willing to write it off for a new one than I would be if I dropped big money on one. Lots of people keep riding in old or damaged helmets because the initial cost of them was so high and they can't afford another high end helmet.

Just something to think about, I guess.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
(except the Arai which shape wise doesn't fit my large, round melon)
they have different head shapes in different models iirc. i only had the option of 2 models.

as far as $700 limited edition, i just bought a regular rxq with a fairly vanilla color scheme (for quite a bit less than the $700). either way, wearing a $75 on closeout helmet, and $250 pair of motorcycle jeans doesn't really compute y'know...

and "drop and scratch" doesn't actually write off a helmet unless your head is inside it at the time. no impact for the foam to absorb

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're highly misinformed if you think the protection a helmet provides has any relation to the cost or name on the helmet. A Snell helmet is a Snell helmet whether it says Arai, Shoei, Scorpion or HJC on it; what you are paying for is fit, comfort, finish and overall lifespan of a helmet as the less expensive one start to fall apart after using them a while where a more expensive one will usually be lighter, vent more and last longer.
it isn't about the name so much, but Arai goes out of their way to design helmets around safety, and not around standards. A Snell helmet is a Snell helmet, but what about the things not covered by the standard? and quality control goes a long way as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a Bell Vortex and like it so far. One of the main selling points for me with it was the fact they have an optional Transitions visor that goes from clear to dark in sunlight, so no having to carry around 2 visors or "sucking up" to bright or to dark depending on what visor you have on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had a Fulmer, which I loved. Wrecked with it on, switched to a left over Shoei from work. It's an older style but brand new, got it for $200, retailed for $700 new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts