Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first oil change today with less than 15 miles on her. I was in a hurry and I think my heart my have missed a beat when I dropped the drain bolt and NOTHING came out! Well, other than a long spring. Quickly realized I had taken off the wrong bolt to drain the oil. Probably have done 50+ oil changes on bikes in the past but felt like an idiot when I figured it out. So anyway, what is that other bolt for? It's a drain of some sort...has a magnetic plug on it too actually. Just wondering. :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont' think it's a cam chain tensioner :confused: The plug I speak of is the 14mm drain with the copper washer that's to the left of the oil drain plug. Like I said when I took it out completely I was expecting a gush of oil and nothing came out. There is a spring in there about 4 inches long. There is nothing within it to "adjust" so to speak.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:eek: Wow, guess I was wrong. Would not have expected that. What the heck kind of cam tensioner is that anyway? Like I said, nothing to tighten or loosen at all, it's just a spring almost like you'd see on the inside of a carb. I took it all the way out and she still runs fine so if anyone else does the same thing, no worries I guess

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's partial hydraulic FWIK, the spring is for the ball, think check valve. So it's not holding tension if the motor isn't running.

Come to think of it, no biggy, it would take a special kinda stupid to start a motor with any plugs out! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts