Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did paint two of my spare Grom plastic exhaust heat shield, one I did by just washing the plastic and I dried it off then I heated the plastic up a little with a heat dryer and then I painted it all silver using Auto Zone's VHT high temp engine enamel univ aluminum spray paint.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426.

My second heat shield I washed it and dried it off then I used product from Auto Zone Dupli-Color touch-up repair Prep-Wipe towelette. I waited for the product to dry and then I painted the second one partial silver leaving one end tip black.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426.

Since I removed the first plastic from the Red grom I touched the silver plastic and the silver started to flake off so I assume I should have light sand the plastic with some 200 grit wet sand paper and then use the Prep-Wipe towelette to remove any finger print and oils before painting it silver.
So I'm I doing something wrong or am I missing a step. Remember this shield gets a lot of heat off the exhaust muffler so I had to use the high temperature engine enamel.

Any tips suggestion to solve the flaking of the paint. Oh and yes I want to use the shield but I think some color contrast is needed on the Grom.

Thanks for any tips and ride safe.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts