Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to port and polish my new Grom head and was wondering what tools do I need to start my polishing and what polishing compound do I need. The Grom head came with no valves so it is just a plain case so it would make it EZ for my to start the polishing process. If someone has some pictures of what area to polish and stuff and hints of what to do it would be gladly be appreciated. If you have a video posted online some where or know of a website that shows hints and stuff on polishing a motorcycle heads posted it here.

Thanks all and ride safe

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i think this is going to be one big job to tackle. i dont know much as i've never done it myself but it seems like a pretty tedious process.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's actually super easy if you don't plan on hogging out the runners too much. You probably should just plan to do a port match and polish unless you know how thick the material around the valve guides are and can flow the head. The head is small enough that a dremel should work . You are gonna need a sanding drum with 250,500, and 1000 grit and some a few stones to blend towards the back. Use your intake gasket as a template and find out if there is any overlap over the largest port( does the gasket impede on the port or intake at all). Use a razor blade to trim it to fit. After that if there is metal showing on either gasket surface use dykem or a sharpie to color the metal to be removed. Start slow with the high grit to enlarge the opening and blend it back as evenly as you can working your way up to 1000 grit. It doesnt have to be a mirror finish when you are done 1000 grit with water should be smooth enough.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
you sound like you've done this before :p

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's actually super easy if you don't plan on hogging out the runners too much. You probably should just plan to do a port match and polish unless you know how thick the material around the valve guides are and can flow the head. The head is small enough that a dremel should work . You are gonna need a sanding drum with 250,500, and 1000 grit and some a few stones to blend towards the back. Use your intake gasket as a template and find out if there is any overlap over the largest port( does the gasket impede on the port or intake at all). Use a razor blade to trim it to fit. After that if there is metal showing on either gasket surface use dykem or a sharpie to color the metal to be removed. Start slow with the high grit to enlarge the opening and blend it back as evenly as you can working your way up to 1000 grit. It doesnt have to be a mirror finish when you are done 1000 grit with water should be smooth enough.
So what interesting and high power builds have you been involved in, in the past? :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Super coupe 5spd stock bottom end MLS, head studs ported heads 18psi on factory m92 2 1/4 hard pipe ft mount alum rad and cat deletes jet custom tune good for 12.57 on street tires in a 4600lb sedan.vw mk3.5 cabby ported Tt cam springs retainers and exhaust eip tranny cheapo eBay 6 puck( turned out to be an exedy disc and luk OEM pressure plate.) And a hundred shot of giggly. Those are my last two personal builds but I wrench for a living so I pretty much do a lot.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you Sir and ride/drive safe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts