Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had Michelin Power Pures SC put on my Grom and the motorcycle shop could not balance the wheels because the axle/spindle hole was too small. I called two other shops and went to Cycle Gear and they could not balance the wheels either because of the same reason. Do these wheels need to be balanced? There were no weights on the wheels from the factory. Has anyone ever had their wheels balanced? I did a quick ride around with the new tires up to 50 mph and it seems to be ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CiscoSJ - Good call on the front tire being installed correctly. I checked and sure enough it was installed backwards so I took it back to the shop and they corrected the problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Take it out and ride it odds are its not gonna give a vibration at the speeds we reach. Of you do take the wheels somewhere to get balanced and DON'T let them put balance beads in there they are pure snake oil no reputable shop should reccomend them

·
Registered
282 Posts
There is a product that is a tire sealer that also has silicon for wheel balance available at motorcycle shops. I had to use it for my 21" radial spoke wheel on my Road King. Similar idea to the beads but it actually works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ive owned many small bikes, Honda CT70's, z50's and a pitbike with motard wheels... And ive never expierenced anything crazy from not balancing these small tires. As long as they are mounted correctly ride it and enjoy it. I doubt you would ever get anything noticable let alone a safty issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - Just rode around for about 100 or so miles scrubbing my new Michelin Power Pures. No wobble at any speed up to 70 mph (on a downhill) so I am happy :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Glad it worked out for you wish I could ride we have had snow and ice on the ground for days. Quick question did you have issues with the paint chipping on the wheel and how did you mount them(hand or machine). As far*as beads or sealants are concerned if you take a wheel with beads or any liquid in it they are impossible to balance on a machine. They might not do it at 50 but at some point they are gonna vibrate-hunter certified

·
Registered
998 Posts
Go naked and no junk in the wheel or beads or any snake oil stuff those dam Indians and Snake skin oil business people try to sell you.

Oh by the way the Sky is falling.

What dealer did you take your Grom rim/tire to for install, I'm sure Grom owners would like to avoid that shop. By the way the Jr guy at most motorcycle shop start off sweeping the floor and mounting and replacing tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pointblank - I did not see any paint chips on the wheels and I had a motorcycle shop mount them so I am sure they used a machine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CisccoSJ - I took the wheels/tires to an independent shop. Nice guy, good prices, and good service. He corrected the problem immediately and this time, the wheel was already on the bike. I have never seen tires that are used for both front and rear tires so that threw me off too. Must be a small bike/scooter kind of thing. I know, he should have known better. Oh well, you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
998 Posts
CisccoSJ - I took the wheels/tires to an independent shop. Nice guy, good prices, and good service. He corrected the problem immediately and this time, the wheel was already on the bike. I have never seen tires that are used for both front and rear tires so that threw me off too. Must be a small bike/scooter kind of thing. I know, he should have known better. Oh well, you learn something new everyday.
No problem, I'm sure everyone has made miss takes in their life, that is what life is all about, you learn from your mistakes.

Yep I learned from my mistake of NEVER getting married again. I rather have 4 girlfriends and be on the Jerry Springer show than be married again.

But I could change my mind if Paris Hilton wants a round or two with me or even Kelly Pickler I'd turn country on her any day.

Hey RIDE SAFE and keep that GROM under 65mph, there's KIDS running around on those STREETS with skateboards and bicycles and with their smart phone/ipod ear buds stuck in their heads with no clue of road safety.>:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CiscoSJ - Don't worry, 65 mph is only done on isolated canyon roads where there are no kids, no soccer moms in mini vans, etc :)
Always speed limit in crowded streets especially in residential areas...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts