Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend in terms of style and protection. I've heard Deth Killers are great but looking for opinions :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so right now I'm looking at:

Deth Killers Slim Guy: $250

Rev'lt Carnaby: $260

Iron Heart 210z: $365

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the brands? Not looking to replace riding gear but there are occasions I need to ride and dress well... you know....

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Regular jeans are not sufficient protection for a rider. 2 years ago i was on a group ride and a woman in our group was on a brand new bike and was going though a tunnel a car rounded the corner and she was in their lane and her and the bike bounced off the front fender. she slid down the asphault into a steel guardrail. Her right leg must have hit the sharp underside of the rail and sliced into her leg almost down to the bone. The jeans were all ripped to hell. Denim is not very abrasion resistant.

Motorcycle jeans are made of Cordura, which is much more abrasion and puncture resistant, Resistant being the key word. Many of the jeans have internal pockets allowing you to insert padding for impact absorption or there is gear you can buy that goes on under your clothes as well.

Just something to think about...

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Denim is not very abrasion resistant.
more like not abrasion resistant at all.
you may get away with a 0.1 second slide in jeans (and even then, i managed to get some good rash at 2mph as a noob...). in most textile stuff you'll probably get 2 seconds of sliding before you reach through to the skin
in leather you're looking at a good bit more

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys.

These are not intended to replace riding gear in anyways, just for short jaunts across town to a date or meet up with the boys. Very conservative riding, but of course there are risks.

Sergei, I've also heard mixed things about draggin jeans, plus they don't look so pretty ;) Lean angles are not bad at priced in the range I'm looking to spend anyways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
"Quick jaunt to a date?" You take out the Grom to impress the ladies???

Riding jeans are a great investment. If all goes well you should only have to buy one pair.

AS far as the style goes, I prefer riding jeans that have a motorcross look to them.

Something like this. (featured on NYfashioncity.com)

Not qite the best example of what I am thinking of but I think you get the point.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought a pair of Technic kevlar lined jeans on a closeout. they were about $50.

I have been down wearing a pair of flannel lined jeans (January ride) around 35 mph, ripped around the pocket where my wallet was but other wise held up. Got some friction burn around the knee and thigh but that's all. They held up ok.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Quick jaunt to a date?" You take out the Grom to impress the ladies???

Riding jeans are a great investment. If all goes well you should only have to buy one pair.

AS far as the style goes, I prefer riding jeans that have a motorcross look to them.

Something like this. (featured on NYfashioncity.com)

Not qite the best example of what I am thinking of but I think you get the point.
all about how you use your tools mate ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper to have someone make the pants? I cant find 26 inseam motorcycle pants and if i buy the 30 inseam inch ones and take them it, the knee pads are off making it useless in a crash Also i would like full kevlar with a tailbone protector know of any company that does this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts