Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the appeal? Why not a scooter? Why not a 250cc bike. I expected when I read the rider experience pole that most would be beginners and this a starter bike. I was surprised to see that most have significant experience.

I ride a very large and heavy sport touring bike (bmw k1600 GTL) It's an amazing bike but sometimes when I want to goof off around town it's too much bike. It also has to have an expensive rear tire and oil change that cost a few hundred bucks every 6000 miles (thats every three months for me) The Grom will be my in-town goof off bike.

I very much would like to see the same size bike released as a 250 or 300. I think the 125 will be a little lacking. I love the chassis size.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
GROM just looks nicer.

A scooter is a scooter.. Not a motorcycle

And the CBR250 is a wannabe CBR500 or CBR600 to me.

The GROM isn't trying to be anything else. It's a GROM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had big bikes, I've had a ninja 250, and I've had a 50cc 2 stroke scooter. Honestly for convenience around town it's hard to beat a scooter due to the storage space and ease of just hopping on and going. The Ninja was a super fun bike that handled well and could keep up on the hwy just fine... they can be had cheap too..

So why the Grom? hmm... it's like combining those two to me. A small, fun, lightweight package that you can just hop on and go - but that has a manual transmission and a proper seating position for a bit more fun on tight roads and urban environments. It just looks like a blast. Oh and it's relatively cheap. I'm sure there will be big bore kits and other items available to get a bit more power out of that 125.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's just a unique bike. Not a scoot, not a motorcycle. it'll be what I ride when I go to scoot rallies with my wife on her Vespa. I can't wait to mod it up using the vintage racer and cafe racer versions as inspiration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too am looking to downsize for something to just hop on and off in town and squeeze into ridiculous parking spots. Also, I am a small girl, and I really love small form factor bikes that I can tuck my knees into and fly. I feel limited by a bike that is too much bike for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
parking and traffic is insane where I live, small bikes and scooters are perfect and I prefer to row my own gears over twist and go

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is an uncomparable Fun between a big bike and a mini bike. My bikes are all track only bikes, so this one will see that same fate. That being said, it may be really fun to have one for quick store runs etc. Also a good starter bike so my boys and wife can learn on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New member here. I want one because my only vehicle right now is a lifted Jeep and the Grom will get ~7 times better gas mileage for my 8 mile drive to work. That adds up to a lot of saved dough! It also looks like a ton of fun:chop1:

·
Administrator
365 Posts
For all the reasons above and probably for the exact same reasons why the OP asked.

for me, (and im sure many others) cheap thrills. I dont want to dump my bike. Its in the range of 20K. That makes for an expensive mistake. The Grom I can have as much fun if not more, and don't have to worry about laying it over in a turn. It will probably be relatively inexpensive to fix.

But I will still have my big boy bike for day trips and thrashing on. :)

Stew

·
Registered
71 Posts
it gives me the same thrill as the mini bikes and dirt bikes i rode when i was a kid/teenager.. i rode a msx125 (composimo's) and i was hooked.. (i already had dep down though lol) it is just fun to ride.. i can see it being my goto bike hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway.. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
GROM just looks nicer.

A scooter is a scooter.. Not a motorcycle

And the CBR250 is a wannabe CBR500 or CBR600 to me.

The GROM isn't trying to be anything else. It's a GROM.

Exactly this. I love the way it looks and it will be an awesome first bike for me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I like different bikes, and I'm really drawn to small displacement bikes. The largest bike I own is a 650. Big CC's never really did anything for me. ;)

The Grom is definitely different.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts