Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda showed off the CBR300R last week and announced they would be killing off the CBR250. I'm wondering if the demise of the 250 opens the door for a Grom 200 or 250... could be cool...

·
Registered
327 Posts
It might open the door to some cheap CBR250's.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
probably not. the only reason honda did that is because kawi went to 300 with the ninjette. there is no grompetitor, so there is no need to one-up themselves (yet)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe not right now but in the future I could see a higher displacement Grom happening. Just a little boost to get people engaged again. In a few years. People would get excited by that.

·
Registered
998 Posts
lol agreed.

i dont see the GROM going up in displacement. its the new monkey afteralll.
You want to corner the market on small bikes I would go up to 200cc or else Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi will listen to what the customer wants and will jump on the chance to make a Grom killer and take over the small MC segment.

I believe Kawi already has the engine for a Grom killer and it's their 250cc engine and tranny only need to improve on the engine with FI.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
A grom over a 250 or 300 any day. If you're not tracking a 300 or riding it in the canyons I don't see them worth it as the 250s are glorified sport scooters and the 300 isn't much more exciting, it's just a we bit faster than the 250.

Your options on a grom are far more than both of those options and way more fun as you can take them any wear and are setup for any style of riding you could ask for.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
995 Posts
As great as this is for used 250 pricing, they are dinky looking bikes and I can't ever ride one. it's like the Honda Civic of honda bikes to me.
But if you own a 250, keep it, if not, get the 300 if you really want a starter CBR.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
crf250 > cbr300 imo

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't see the Grom going up in displacement any time soon.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The problem with a Grom 200 or Grom 250 is it would be priced high enough that you should start considering purchasing a CBR300 instead.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Lol yes sir! Good call. How much do you think they will end up going for?
I know I'm being overly optimistic, but if I could get one for around $3000, that might be a player.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You want to corner the market on small bikes I would go up to 200cc or else Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi will listen to what the customer wants and will jump on the chance to make a Grom killer and take over the small MC segment.

I believe Kawi already has the engine for a Grom killer and it's their 250cc engine and tranny only need to improve on the engine with FI.
Thats what I was thinking as well. Plus i feel like Grom caters to a different kind of rider than CBR250/300. Groms more play thing, CBR more commuter bike...

·
Registered
51 Posts
CBR250's are more for the young guy who's trying to convince his parents he needs a 600rr. But instead gets a 250 because it is cheaper, and pleases his parents because it's cheaper and not as fast, still looks like a big boy bike though. The Grom was made for the college students who considered a 50cc or so scooter but wants to ride some smaller highways, (also for the older guys who want something to play around and act stupid on ;).

I wouldn't give the Grom to a first time rider, it's too small and gets lost in traffic. Takes considerable thinking to remind yourself that no one is paying any attention to you. First time riders need something big enough to be noticed. I always drive like i'm invisible, something alot of new riders take for granite.

The CBR300 is a better U.S bike, IMO, because the 250r looks like the VFR. A bike that many customers don't no anything about or that it even exists. The CBR look will drag more first time buyers towards it, because it looks like big bros 600rr/1000rr.

I honestly think Honda is trying to kill the chinese competition by making so many different models for less money.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats why i feel grom is perfect candidate for a 200 model, its nit going to compete with CBR, they attract different riders...

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I think the Grom would be less fun in a larger size. But that's just me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Grom vs. 250 Ninja

Before I got to sick to ride, I rode a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja250r. Neat little bikes but if you don't have a garage they are a pain for valve adjustments. I had too remove engine bolts to get enough room to get the valve cover off in addition to a lot of fairing. Getting the carbs synced was also a problem. It was a bit tall for me and I couldn't flat foot it. A good thing about it is there are a couple of owners forums for it and they have a lot of advise to offer on them.
The GROM won't have the performance of the Ninjette (91 mph with aftermarket sprocket for my fat behnd) but the cost of maintenance will be a whole lot lower even if you have to take it to a dealer or independent mechanic, and the center of gravity and weight is considerable lower. I suspect that since they put some of the same mods that they put on their Honda PCX 150 engine and that they'll migrate some to a GROM, if for no other reason to make it highway legal in states that require a minimum of 150 cc displacement. I am not a marketing guru and I don't play one on TV.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts