Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like for a riding school or something. The Grom is small and maneuverable enough that it should be excellent for learning the principles of riding, especially things like counter steering and weight shifting. In a controlled environment of course..

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have read a lot of reviews from the pro's and every day riders like ourselves and they all said the Grom is very forgiving. So for a newb, the Grom would be great. Only downside is that you may get bored of it sooner than you think, wishing you had more power. it's why some people rather get CBR250's, Ninja 300's, heck...even CBR600's!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great starter bike, but since it isn't full-sized, it isn't so great once you aren't a noob any more. The Grom is great for what it is, but many people will want a full-sized bike once they get used to riding the Grom. So if you want a better investment, it could be worth it to buy a bike that is full-sized.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the grom wouldn't be a bad choice to start from and get the hang of things. You can learn how to shift, brake and the whole nine yeards regardless of the size. Once youre comfortable you should be ready to hop on something bigger or you can stay with it no sweat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No i meant like to use for a riding school. There could be an army of Groms for the students to ride the course with, their low cost enough and durable enough (i saw the video where it takes on that cliff) that if they get a little cracked up no worries.

It could be an intro for them before they have to make the decision on if they want to buy something bigger than a Grom...

·
Registered
108 Posts
For a driving school I wouldn't buy a bunch of toy bikes. They would be effective in teaching people the basics of riding, but it is not the type of bike that most people will ride when they have their license. I think a driving school should have bike that are more likely to be the type of vehicle that its students will drive once they complete the program.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not sure if it would be a smart thing to do for a riding school. You are better off buying full sized bikes for them to use. You won't exactly get the same feel. But you could buy a few for poeple who would be interested in riding something smaller. Ideally you want to have a bunch of different style bikes for students.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had an ex 250 (Ninja 250) for my very first bike about 15 years ago. Never having ridden before, I was bored with the power of it after like a month. If you think you may want to go far or fast, the Grom is not the right bike. Though they are heavier a full sized motorcycle is much more stable. The Grom is actually quite twitchy in my opinion once the speeds get up over about 45mph. If you were riding a big heavy bike you wouldn't even notice it. On the other hand I would have absolutely loved to have had one to ride to school back then! Also for the same price as a Grom there are other alternatives for starter bikes...especially if you don't mind a used one. Just my .02

·
Registered
995 Posts
Great starter bike, but since it isn't full-sized, it isn't so great once you aren't a noob any more. The Grom is great for what it is, but many people will want a full-sized bike once they get used to riding the Grom. So if you want a better investment, it could be worth it to buy a bike that is full-sized.
Exactly what I said, A lot of people will find this to be the case, I mean...how can you not? Especially when seeing all the other bigger, full-sized bikes out on the street. We're basically a step ahead of the people on scooters but right behind guys on CBR250's and the like

·
Registered
134 Posts
lol i have more fun on my grom then my R1

something about going WOT EVERYWEHRE

versus 1/4 throttle and spinning the rear everywhere......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts