Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in my previous post i told everyone how the coil got wet and messed it up. After drying it worked fine for about 30mi.

Started it this morning, rode great for about 500 yards then crapped out.

It will start and idle fine, as soon as you touch the throttle it just dies a half second later, wont go over about 1500rpm. Any ideas?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It wont die as in quit, just bogs down, im going to try and take a vid in a little while. If you put it in gear and try to move at all it just quits out and dies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Coil could still be the issue, saltwater (and water in general) kills electrical things, they may work fine or intermittent for a while but usually will die out after contact.

That's why buying a flood damaged vehicle is so risky, it may work perfect for a little while then bam! dead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The coil is tucked up under the side panel and should be waterproof. How much salt water actually got on it? Did it get submerged or just splashed? Since salt water conducts electricity more than fresh water and is more corrosive it is hard on sensors. Make sure you check the ground and positive battery terminals and the frame grounding point next to the fuel tank as well as the three fuses under the seat. Rule out the simple stuff first. I would then buy some electrical cleaner spray, remove the connectors from the injector, TPS, IAT, and the oil temp sensor and spray them all out as well as the o2 sensor and spark plug connector. The electrical cleaner should flush out the moisture and clean the contacts. After this is done i would run the ECU initializing procedure which will recalibrate the TPS reference voltages. If it runs fine at idle, but not when you open the throttle its possible the calibration is out of whack. If the MIL is on retrieve the code and see if there is a sensor reading too low or too high of a voltage. I have lots of info here that might help you narrow down the problem including a wiring diagram. I would also recommend getting a service manual which has a lot of troubleshooting procedures, hope that helps.

Inveniam Performance - Home

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im thinking it may be the tps? The cel did blink 8 times at one point. It sat for a while yesterday and dried out then fired right up, this morning it did the same thing again with the morning dew. I think all the saltwater wasnt cleaned off well enough and the dew us getting in thr connections. Im going to get the electrical cleaner now.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I apologize if this sounds a bit rude. Have you considered bringing it back to the dealer? Just say you rode in the rain and its not working anymore.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live on st thomas, usvi no dealers around here, but even if there was I dont want anyone else touching my bike.

Im 99% sure the tps was gunked up. Once again after being in the sun for 4hrs it dried out and fired right up.

I pulled all the sensors and cleaned them with electrical cleaner. Running strong the rest of the day.

Guess ill see in the morning if it worked!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts